Anyone else get a letter

Status
Not open for further replies.
truthseeker - the only reason I can see in your post for not ringing to clarify that you have paid would be the cost of the call and presumption that you would be put on hold and passed from person to person.

I agree it would be better if they gave an email or postal address to contact.

I would be interested to know exactly of the wording in the letter that you consider intimidating if you would be kind enough to post it? I have to say that the words quoted by Greta above ('it has come to our attention that you may be liable for the Household charge') sound very reasonable albeit that this is just a snippet and may not be in context.

It does seem to me, based on the comments in this thread, that a decision to force a trivial matter like this to court when there is a much simpler solution is driven by a desire to vex the authorities and is born of malice. If Dermot can convince the judge that his actions were driven by a sense of civic duty and were reasonable then he has nothing to fear.

My core point as to whether people consider it is reasonable to force enormous expense on the public purse over a matter could be easily resolved with a phone call (maybe even a long phone call) has gone unanswered by all posts to date.

I would ignore any letter where the charge has been paid correctly and let them go to court. I would then slap them down with a costs order.

These details any help?

Contact Us
Please contact the Household Charge customer service department at the following address.

Address: Household Charge
PO Box 12168
Dublin 1
Telephone: 1890-357357 or 00353-1-2224000
E-Mail: [email protected]

mf

truthseeker - the only reason I can see in your post for not ringing to clarify that you have paid would be the cost of the call and presumption that you would be put on hold and passed from person to person.

I agree it would be better if they gave an email or postal address to contact.

I would be interested to know exactly of the wording in the letter that you consider intimidating if you would be kind enough to post it? I have to say that the words quoted by Greta above ('it has come to our attention that you may be liable for the Household charge') sound very reasonable albeit that this is just a snippet and may not be in context.

It does seem to me, based on the comments in this thread, that a decision to force a trivial matter like this to court when there is a much simpler solution is driven by a desire to vex the authorities and is born of malice. If Dermot can convince the judge that his actions were driven by a sense of civic duty and were reasonable then he has nothing to fear.

My core point as to whether people consider it is reasonable to force enormous expense on the public purse over a matter could be easily resolved with a phone call (maybe even a long phone call) has gone unanswered by all posts to date.

3CC - I have not received any letter, I was posting my own opinion - it was Greta who used the word intimidation in relation to the letter.

Perhaps if someone did stand up to an incompetent system that allows people who have paid to be harrassed by letter and then expected to sort it out at their own expense it might persuade those in charge to do the job properly in the first place? The household charge has been contentious enough without making the fiasco worse by annoying those who actually paid!

The fact they are sending these letters to both those who have paid and those who havent just shows that they havent a clue who has paid what, who is liable to pay what, and there seems to be no cross checking going on.

Which makes me want to pay less and less truth seeker.

You pay you get letters you don't pay you get letters.

If I for one second believed this money would actually be used for services and make things better I would pay.

I don't believe and this government is not convincing me.

Maybe the person that was supposed to be cross checking was out sick.

Just to give you an example of incompetence and a system out of control 3CC I emailed a very small Co Co office in this country of ours with a query. I got 8 acknowledgements that my email had been received. Each email reply to me explained that it was received and had been passed to the appropriate person and that the matter would be explained in the very near future. It was just a query and they would have known that I would need the answer within 7 days. I never received the answer and this is over 13 months later. I found the answer myself 2 days later. I could quote several other situations that would not be accepted elsewhere

If you honestly believe that not responding to the letters and allowing the matter to proceed to court would improve the system, then go for it. I do not believe it will make any meaningful difference and that you will put yourself and the other side to unnecessary hassle and cost. Maybe a strongly worded email to the address provided by mf1 above would be more effective.

got one of these myself , knew it would happen, i have all the receipts for the property sitting next to me. why do i get a bill because the registration only allows one name and the house is in two.

any simpleton knows this would cause chaos i am so tempted to let them take me to court but cant afford the time off work to go and hand in a load of receipts to the judge

guess what the household charge will be worse

i am writing to my public representatives first by the way

There are so many posts on this and so many arguments for and against that I won't repeat them.

My query is - what will law-abiding guys, like me who have paid NPPR and property charges do next year when they get a much bigger property charges ?

It's one thing to be annoyed this year at paying when others have not.
It's far worse to continue paying even higher charges when those non-payers are getting away with it .

If the government are basically doing nothing serious to collect those charges they are effectively telling me that I'm an idiot for having paid this year and a complete lunatic if I pay any more.

If the government are basically doing nothing serious to collect those charges they are effectively telling me that I'm an idiot for having paid this year and a complete lunatic if I pay any more.
Why would you think that they are doing nothing serious, given the earlier posts on this thread?
Frank;1274969 Maybe the person that was supposed to be cross checking was out sick.[/QUOTE said:
Or maybe one of the addresses had an Irish language version and one didn't. Or maybe the owner used an Irish language name on one database, but not the other.
Or maybe there was a slight variation in the address used in one database - my gas bill ALWAYS comes to a slightly different address to all other bills.
There are a ton of possible reasons for these small variations affecting a relatively small number of people.

Frank;1274969 You pay you get letters you don't pay you get letters. [/QUOTE said:
Or to be more accurate,
You pay and a small percentage of you get letters you don't pay you get letters.

How do you know it's a small percentage? If it is that's great but how do you know?
I agree with you general point though.
I paid within the first two weeks and I didn't get a letter. If I did get one I wouldn't be upset, I'd just presume it's a mistake and I'd ignore it.

I am curious to what people reckon will happen next?

To answer this part of OP post, a DCC councillor has told me there will be a further 2 letters sent to remind those who have received this first letter. After that 3rd letter then things will escalate and be taken further. Worth noting said councillor hasn't paid charge either.

There are so many posts on this and so many arguments for and against that I won't repeat them.

My query is - what will law-abiding guys, like me who have paid NPPR and property charges do next year when they get a much bigger property charges ?

It's one thing to be annoyed this year at paying when others have not.
It's far worse to continue paying even higher charges when those non-payers are getting away with it .

If the government are basically doing nothing serious to collect those charges

The aren't and the position will remain so as long as people have the option of paying in 10 years time ( or whenever ), which they are entitled do if they pay the interest and penalties !

I also got reminders for the guy that previously owned my house, however the council never put a return address on the envelope, so that went straight in the bin!!!!!

With no regard for whether or not they had paid.

+1

I got a letter saying I hadn't paid even though I had. I compared the address they sent it to with the address I registered the HHC with and they were identical. Lazy, lazy. I sent an email to DCC saying thay I had paid but they never replied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back