Anyone else caught with apartment in Carrick-on-Shannon ?

So Donking, you think all property prices in Ireland are " jacked up "?

well rabbit sell sell heard mnba going to move in next 3 years

Its the main employer in Leitrim. I suppose you heard the main employer in most other counties is going to move in the next 3 or 4 years as well ?

Rabbit, I have friends in MBNA ... there is restructuring taking place, they don't themselves yet how things will pan out.

I too know people in MBNA, who do not live in COS

Down the country, people can travel greater distances in less time

People could live in Sligo Roscommon Longford or Cavan and still be within 30-40 mins from work

I am a dub, my parents moved to Leitrim when I was 17 and I spent three years there. It was like a jail sentence. On a serious note - Leitrim has always been an unemployment black spot and I was lucky to keep a job in a meat factory before I left to go to college. MBNA has been supporting Carrick on Shannon for the last few years. The reason MBNA moved there is because one of the top guys family lived there years ago and they were thrown off their land. When he made it big he brought MBNA to Carrick and bought the house and land his family were thrown off (a tearful story!). Now MBNA has been bought by Bank of America and he is gone (or about to go) they are likely to relocate. When the happens you won't even break even. My advice is get out of it ASAP before you get really stung. Granted the rent yields are okay but you are talking small money anyway. Reinvest your money in attractive location, or an entirely different investment.

I guess the exceptional growth in Dublin balances out practically zero growth in places like Carrick-on-Shannon to give us our national property boom.

Well, yes, I'd say you're right there. Especially in an area where tax breaks have probably contributed to overbuilding, MBNA or not. (Now rebranded to its owners, Bank of America, by the way).

You shouldn't factor in the cost of furniture, by the way, unless you're selling it fully furnished, in which case you shouldn't expect to recoup anything like what you paid for the furniture.

Back