Anyone built 5000sq ft?

Virgo08,

What part of the country are you building.In the south east direct labour starts at €75 per square foot.This includes house build, hardcore for drive and footpath, modern septic tank system, esb connection & eircom connection and underground pipework - with house heated by oil burner.So basically you will have a shell thats ready to start finishes.
If you are economical you could even have started finishing the house in that price - at that stage it will come down to taste.

Make sure you dont scrimp on insulation and that the house is well designed, if not your heating costs will be special.

OP - our house is about 5000 sq.ft. including the loft "playroom/storage" and an integrated double garage.

Our build came in at about €130/sq.ft. which was a contractor shell build with direct for the services, kitchen and finishes.

We overspecced insulation, installed HRV and wood-burning stoves, and don't expect to be boiling hot in the winter. We'll be putting in solar for hot water before next summer.

As for running costs we deliberately didn't go for big galleries etc. and our gas for UFH, rads upstairs and hot water is about €3-4 per day. All of the lights, except the feature lights in the kitchen/dining, are CFLs or LEDs. Our electricity bill is about €2 per day, but that includes servers, network switches etc.

The best thing about the space is that the kids can play their games in one area without having to be tidying away all the time.

SSE

You will find a lot of miserly people on these boards who will condem you for building a big house. Ignore them. Those people do not believe in living their lives for enjoyment.

Excluding people with a fetish for cleaning, a big house does not necessarily make it more enjoyable. For others a small, mortgage free property with money to spend on liftestyle may be better.

I know its under €100 sq.ft in Kilkenny county. In fact, my brother is currently building an extension for 80eur sq.ft, from a local builder. Thisis not some local newbie, but a builder with decades of experience, with good rep and ALWAYS busy. Theres a lot of competition out there at the moment.

Can you post the name of that builder? We are starting an extension in Kilkenny soon and that sounds like a good price if he has a good rep

its great to hear all your replies, i have been awarded planning and hope to sell our current 4 bed to finance the build. The site is in Leinster, Kildare Area. I am mostly concerned and interested in the heating element of the house, as i love my heat!! I hope to insulate it really well but what choice of heating sytem have you all decided on, its really hard as i want whatever heating sytem that will give me a good output of heat and i dont think Geo thermal will do this.

its great to hear all your replies, i have been awarded planning and hope to sell our current 4 bed to finance the build. The site is in Leinster, Kildare Area. I am mostly concerned and interested in the heating element of the house, as i love my heat!! I hope to insulate it really well but what choice of heating sytem have you all decided on, its really hard as i want whatever heating sytem that will give me a good output of heat and i dont think Geo thermal will do this.

Mate of mine has an 11000 sq ft house heated by Geothermal UFH backed up by oil. The house is extremely comfortable heatwise and I have been in it several times in all types of weather conditions.

Back