Anyone build storage into a Bay window - Success or Regret?

Cashstrapped

Really stuck for storage space for toys etc. and I am considering getting built in units into the Bay window in the Sitting room. Looking at getting it to meet the window ledge with doors to the front and the possibility of putting a seat pad on top.

Looking for any feedback from anyone who has done this already on whether it was a success or regretted it for one reason or another. Thanks.

I like to walk out into window for a good look around with me mug of tea and would never put anything in the way, I live in countryside so not prying, watching the birds

The american style seat in front of the window can look nice it is also very easy to just make a lid on it and pack all the toys into it.

A great idea if you want to look out the window make a seat out of the storage as said above. I have it done under two windows and they are really useful - but you have to be careful if you are going to make seats out of it to tell supplier so they can put proper supports in it.

I used to share an apartment with a friend in Galway. There was a wooden box-type seat built into the bay window with carpet on the top. We could lounge on the top looking out the window, but it would also be very easy to make the top a lid of some sort and use as storage.

I loved this feature and always said if I ever get to build my own place, I'll have this.

Delighted with all the positive feedback, will def. go ahead with it, it was something I've considered for a few years so at least I know i'm not rushing into it. Thanks for all the replies.

Good luck with it cashstrapped, a great idea for space saving. Wish I had a bay window in my own house as every nook and cranny is filled with crap at the moment.

we have this done in the bay window in a spare downstairs bedroom, which the boys use as their toy room. Its great, they use the top of it for their garages and train sets/board games etc and there are 2 presses underneath. No regrets here. :)

Back