Anyone been to the Bodies Exhibition?

Do you think it is wrong that mummies are displayed without consent in museums worldwide?

Actually that is something I have always been uncomfortable with.

I think the question I ask myself is , "Would I be comfortable with this if it was someone close to me , and I also know that they didn't consent to it".

I wouldn't be , so I can't see why I would put a lower standard just because I didn't know the person , or that lived 3000 years ago.

I think the question I ask myself is , "Would I be comfortable with this if it was someone close to me , and I also know that they didn't consent to it".

I wouldn't be , so I can't see why I would put a lower standard just because I didn't know the person , or that lived 3000 years ago.

When I ask myself the same question I am comfortable with it.

Is the babies exhibition in Dublin too? Might skip that bit if I go or can you not skip bits?

Is the babies exhibition in Dublin too? Might skip that bit if I go or can you not skip bits?

They have a sign up warning people not to go into the room with the fetuses.

There isnt a huge amount in that room - dont know if its a limited version of what they have shown elsewhere.

We will have to agree to disagree truthseeker.
However, I'm glad you are not my doctor,(not saying you are a doctor), and I'm even more glad we don't live in China.

We will have to agree to disagree truthseeker.

We will - I do understand what you are saying, I just dont share the same views (or belief system I suppose).

However, I'm glad you are not my doctor,(not saying you are a doctor), and I'm even more glad we don't live in China.

Just out of interest I am going to ask my doctor for her views on it (and my physio too) - if they say anything that we havent covered here Ill come back and post it.

Im glad I dont live in China - but for totally different reasons than how they treat their dead - Id be a bit more concerned with how they treat their living!!

I've seen this exhibition twice and whilst i thoroughly endorsed it, both times i skipped the baby part. it just gave me the heebee jeebees.

I attended this exhibition under the illusion that consent was gained and that none of the bodies used were torture victims or executed prisoners. Concerned that these bodies might have been obtained in such a way, I did a search on the exhibition and found one from the Irish Times who I trust for their impartiality.

"Dr Glover said: “We have practiced due diligence in obtaining the bodies. We work with a partner that we have the utmost amount of trust in – the Dalian Plastination Facility in Dalian, China.The person I work with it is a personal friend of mine. We have been in the same professional organisations for many years. He has sworn affidavits to the effect that the bodies were those who have died of natural causes. We have examined every one of the bodies who come into the show for any evidence of trauma or any kind of physical abuse."

I (bloody naively I now realise) trusted that a doctor would not perjure himself by falsely swearing in a legal document. However, since I have come home this evening and further researched the subject on the instructions of a friend who saw it on the news, I realise that Dr. Glover may not have the scruples he swears to have. After reading this link: <http://www.ireland.com/goingout/artstheatre/article_it_bodies/landing.ie?afs=false>, I have to question a man who, after being forced by New York's attorney general to place signs up there, stating that some of these bodies may be of unknown origins and forcing the exhibition to refund the money of those who had seen the show and weren't aware of the dubious origins of the bodies, there was not ONE sign to suggest the same at the Dublin exhibit today. At E20 a ticket, this strikes me as pure scam artistry- an opportunity to make money off the hides of some of the most abused people in the world. I feel physically sick.

In the light of these facts this 'show' should be closed immediately. Supporting such activities just encourages future exploitation and abuse of humans and we are sublimely agreeing with this by paying money to see it.

In the light of these facts this 'show' should be closed immediately. Supporting such activities just encourages future exploitation and abuse of humans and we are sublimely agreeing with this by paying money to see it.

Or maybe you can just not go and let other people make up their own minds.

Great point Cahir.
If you dont agree - dont go...
like the remote control for the television. if you dont agree with a tv programme - CHANGE THE CHANNEL.
I will be attending the show at some stage in the next few weeks and was just wondering about cameras - are they allowed into the exhibition????

Great point Cahir.
If you dont agree - dont go...
like the remote control for the television. if you dont agree with a tv programme - CHANGE THE CHANNEL.
I will be attending the show at some stage in the next few weeks and was just wondering about cameras - are they allowed into the exhibition????

Totally agree with Cahir.

slgnc - no, you are not allowed use cameras in it.

I attended this exhibition under the illusion that consent was gained and that none of the bodies used were torture victims or executed prisoners. Concerned that these bodies might have been obtained in such a way, I did a search on the exhibition and found one from the Irish Times who I trust for their impartiality.

"Dr Glover said: “We have practiced due diligence in obtaining the bodies. We work with a partner that we have the utmost amount of trust in – the Dalian Plastination Facility in Dalian, China.The person I work with it is a personal friend of mine. We have been in the same professional organisations for many years. He has sworn affidavits to the effect that the bodies were those who have died of natural causes. We have examined every one of the bodies who come into the show for any evidence of trauma or any kind of physical abuse."

I (bloody naively I now realise) trusted that a doctor would not perjure himself by falsely swearing in a legal document. However, since I have come home this evening and further researched the subject on the instructions of a friend who saw it on the news, I realise that Dr. Glover may not have the scruples he swears to have. After reading this link: <http://www.ireland.com/goingout/artstheatre/article_it_bodies/landing.ie?afs=false>, I have to question a man who, after being forced by New York's attorney general to place signs up there, stating that some of these bodies may be of unknown origins and forcing the exhibition to refund the money of those who had seen the show and weren't aware of the dubious origins of the bodies, there was not ONE sign to suggest the same at the Dublin exhibit today. At E20 a ticket, this strikes me as pure scam artistry- an opportunity to make money off the hides of some of the most abused people in the world. I feel physically sick.

Millicent, I have read through the link you provided and nowhere is it suggested that the bodies were subjected to any kind of abuse or trauma. It simply points out that they MAY be of unknown origin.
They were legally obtained. Unclaimed corpses are legally available for use for medical instruction - not only in China.
I fail to see how the origins can be called dubious in this case?

I've seen this exhibition twice and whilst i thoroughly endorsed it, both times i skipped the baby part. it just gave me the heebee jeebees.

speaking of heebee jeebees imagine being on the plane transporting the exhibition

Truthseeker, I think that after the New York attorney general ordered that they put signs up to inform visitors that not all of the bodies could be definitively traced, any good educator or business person would do the same in subsequent exhibitions if that were the case. If they indeed believed in the ethics of their exhibition, they would give visitors every opportunity to choose for themselves. My objection to this exhibition is just that. I have no problems with bodies being displayed where consent has been gained. What a person chooses to do with their body after death is their own business.
Dr. Glover stated that they exercised due diligence in obtaining the bodies- with China's human rights record, how can anyone be sure? I am just offended that the organisers are not at pains to help the viewing public make an informed choice. Whether they are "legally" obtained should not be the issue- I'm more concerned with whether they were ethically obtained.

What would the response be if it was Irish bodies taken from graveyards ?

Exactly. These people have no choice in the treatment of their remains. Just because using unclaimed dead bodies for research in China is legal, it doesn't mean it's right. There should be more respect for the dead.

What would the response be if it was Irish bodies taken from graveyards ?

Bodies in Irish graveyards have had a decision made about what to do with their remains by whoever claimed the bodies.

Its a bit different to unclaimed bodies that have not been buried.

Millicent, again - its not just China where this is legal. Its quite common for unclaimed bodies to be used for research in various countries around the world. There is a shortage of bodies donated for medical research.

There is a difference between people not giving consent and specifically stating that they do not want their bodies used for this purpose. If the wishes are not known, if the body is unclaimed, and if the usage is for ethical purposes i.e., education/research/instruction - then I dont see a problem with it.

Given your outrage at the usage of these bodies in this exhibition I would assume that you are against usage of similiarly unclaimed bodies in medical colleges around the world for instruction of students?

Bodies in Irish graveyards have had a decision made about what to do with their remains by whoever claimed the bodies.

Its a bit different to unclaimed bodies that have not been buried.

So it's ok to dig up graves, but only if the bodies had no family ?

Back