Anyone been to Rio de Janeiro at Carnival time?

ciara_gmail

Thinking of heading to Rio for the Carnival Feb '08. Seen online the Carnival is to take place from 2nd - 5th Feb but need to confirm this. Has anyone been to Rio for the Carnival? Are the hotels very expensive at this time? I've been looking at a few places on TripAdvisor and get the feeling the 'nicer' part to stay is around Ipanema beach - anyone any thoughts on any hotels near to Copacabana beach? thanks all!

I was there a couple of years ago it was brilliant and I would defintely go back. Accomodation is more expensive at Carnaval time and books out fast so you would need to book well in advance. I managed to find a place for a couple of nights in a hostel just behind Copacabana beach, the hostel was fine, alot nicer than others i've stayed in.
Definitely go to the Sambadromo for an evening- well worth it cos thats what you see on postcards etc. You shuld also try to go up into the different neighbourhoods to experience the more local Carnaval.
Ipanema is the nicer area but Copacabana beach is nice too. Great seafood for $10 at a hotel on the front.
If you have time try and make it to Salvador in northern brazil, the Carnaval there ends a couple of days later than the Rio one. It is a totally different experience. Very African influenced.
The dates for the Carnaval will be somewhere on the internet.
Brilliant, enjoy

Carnival 2008 is indeed from 2nd to 5th February inclusive. Prices in Rio hotels will increase accordingly and probably already have. Ipanema Beach would be considered the more "upmarket" beach in Rio although in reality it almost joins Copacabana ( its like an L shape and they meet in the middle). Have stayed in both areas and Ipanema is definitely better and somewhat less prone to the crime element although thats not guaranteed. If you can spare the cash then opt for Ipanema but i'd still be happy in copacabana if strapped for cash.

Thanks guys! Do you know what travel agents you can book thru as would rather go through one than book all myself especially as will be peak season? I checked on Trailfinders to see some hotels but only places in South America I could see were Argentina and Mexico - they did do flights to Rio tho so might pop in and ask them about accomodation

Try trailfinders for flights and see what hotels they recommend. may be cheaper to look on the internet and contact hotels directly

I know you said you didn't want to arrange it yourself but you will save a lot of money if you do.

www.clubtravel.ie offer a wide variery of long haul flight options are are generally very very competitive.

For hotels you should check for independent reviews and also if you hit the "Pricecheck" yellow button after each hotel it will search various sites to locate the "best" available price for that hotel

Enjoy Rio, its a great place.

Back