Anyone any "must-see's" for Argentina (excl BA)? Got a 2 week trip there.

Mr Flapjack

Anyone any "must-see's" for Argentina (excl BA)? Got a 2 week trip there and looking for general tips.

Re: Argentina

I went to Argentina & Brazil last year. Iguzu falls is an absolute must in my opinion. Its about an 18 hour bus journey from BA or you can fly. Its definatly worth trying to see both sides, the Argentian side for the close up and the Brazilian side for the panoramic view. You can organise day trips from the Argentian side. Theres some photos here but no photo could ever have the same impact as being there:D

[broken link removed]

We also went to Ushuia which is the most southerly inhabited place on earth. To be honest there isn't a whole lot there. It thrives on its "end of the world" claim. We went in October so there was lots of snow. We did a bit of hiking and took a boat trip. Just make sure you book a flight in Ireland before you go as its next to impossible to get one over there

http://www.patagonia-argentina.com/i/tierradelfuego/ushuaia/ushuaia.htm

Have a blast:)

Bariloche and the area around there is very nice - spectacular mountains and more accessible than Southern Patagonia.

If you are going to southern patagonia El Calafate for the glacier is truly awesome

I agree fully with Kiddo on Iguacu falls - not to be missed

It's a lot of ground to cover so transport is expensive but the cost of living over there for food etc. is a lot cheaper than here.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Couple of Q's on your advice tho:

Kiddo - You mentioned the difficulty in bookintg flights south. Would the same apply to the north, ie to get to iguazu falls? Any idea on ballpark cost?

DrEvilK - We were actually looking to go skiing and had heard Bariloche was ideal. How did you get there?

Cheers....

We flew to Bariloche (we flew from Chile actually but there are loads of flights from BsAs about a 2hr journey I think) - the other option would be to get a bus from BsAs - I think it's about 24hrs and you can get some pretty luxurious buses with "business class" seating etc.

For internal flights the main airline is Aerolineas Argentinas (www.aerolineas.com.ar) ... as a foreigner you can only buy fairly expensive tickets - maybe 150US$ o/w to Bariloche (which tends to be the most expensive domestic flight apart from maybe Ushuaia). Other carriers include Southern Winds, LAN Argentina but I think they all sell only more expensive tickets to foreigners (You can buy them in pesos don't have to pay in US$ but the price is quite high). Ask your travel agent - if you haven't bought your long haul ticket it might be possible/cheaper to buy a Dublin - Bariloche fare with stopover(s) in BsAs or something like that.

There's two airports in BsAs - Ezeiza is the international airport where all long haul flights arrive and there are a few domestic flights mostly to main tourist destinations to faciliate direct connections. Ezeiza is about 30k out of town ... for most domestic flights they depart from the smaller Aeroparque airport which is almost right in downtown - obviously much more convenient.

I had no problem purchasing internal flights .... but if you're in peak season and going on busy routes maybe it's worth trying to sort out in advance .... I'm not sure how easy it is to purchase these tickets from here - might be even more expensive than paying the higher peso fares when buying as a tourist in Argentia

Small but handy tip for doing your research on Argentina ... $ means pesos ... only if they write US$ or USD is the item priced in Dollars .... it can be a bit confusing sometimes !

Mr Flapjack said:
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Couple of Q's on your advice tho:

Kiddo - You mentioned the difficulty in bookintg flights south. Would the same apply to the north, ie to get to iguazu falls? Any idea on ballpark cost?

DrEvilK - We were actually looking to go skiing and had heard Bariloche was ideal. How did you get there?

Cheers....

I'm not sure about flying north. We bought our internal flight in Trailfinders at the same time as our long haul flight. We took the bus to Iguazu from BA.. It took 18 hours but it was on a semi-cam which means the seats were similar to business class seats on a plane....quite comfortable. We booked the bus seats a few days in advance so that we got the front seats upstairs...a bit more leg room.You could have a look here to get a cost for flights

[broken link removed]

Argentina

Hi,

We're planning to spend the month of January in Argentina and have spent a fair bit of time reading up on it. I'd love to hear any practical tips anyone has who has already been there in terms of internal flights, places to stay, what trips are possible to travel to on overnight buses and which places it's worth spending more time in. All advice is appreciated.

Hi,

I was there a few years ago. Sorry I cant give you much practical information, but places I'd recommend are :
- Buenos Aires : lovely city with quite a European feel. Lots to see, and I liked the street performers dancing tango.
- Ushuaia : southern most city in Argentina. About an hours flight from BA I think. Very different - everywhere coverd in snow; in summer it only reaches about 10degrees! Nice to see the archipelago. Near there (but it may be in Chile) is the Perito Moreno glacier, one of the biggest in world. Really amazing sight - a wall of blue ice, wider and taller than an apartment block.
- Iguassu falls : I didnt go there myself (saving that for a trip to Brazil!), but hear they are spectacular!
- the pampas, and maybe a polo match, and of course the steak!

Disfruta tus vacaiones!

Also, should consider subscribing to the newstalk106 travel section. Only a listener by the way.

Link to there is
[broken link removed]

Then, you can ask for the back issue of Buenos Aires. The guy that does the section is from the lonely planet.

Hi Carbon

I have already contributed to the thread that SueEllen has posted the link for...any questions just shout:)

At current exchange rates Argentina is very good value for money. When flying internally in Argentina it is extremely important that when you reach a domestic destination that you confirm your onward flight with Aerolineas. This applies particularly to flights out of Ushuaia. Also when you are in Buenos Aires, which is one of the world’s great cities like a cross between New York and Paris, be sure to check out the Café Tortoni - relic of old decency http://www.cafetortoni.com.ar .

Kiddo said:
I'm not sure about flying north. We bought our internal flight in Trailfinders at the same time as our long haul flight. We took the bus to Iguazu from BA.. It took 18 hours but it was on a semi-cam which means the seats were similar to business class seats on a plane....quite comfortable. We booked the bus seats a few days in advance so that we got the front seats upstairs...a bit more leg room.You could have a look here to get a cost for flights

[broken link removed]

I was there last year and we went on a prebooked flight to the Iguazu Falls. After such a long journey to get to Argentina I think it would be a pity to spend 18 hours in a coach when you can get to the Falls in about 5 hours (if there is a stopover - sometimes there is - to pick up other passengers - it's only about half hour stop). The Falls themselves are so spectacular that you want to spend all day there - we spent two days looking at them! One day is spent on the Argentinian side and the other day on the Brazilian side which is the more spectacular. We went on the dinghy trip under the Falls - bring your togs - it's a never to be forgotten trip.

Hi all, Thanks very much for all the tips- they're very helpful. Just a quick question did any of you purchase an Argentina flight pass prior to going there- we have already booked our flights with Iberia so it's too late to include a stopover.
Thanks

I've merged 2 threads on Argentina, so Suellen's link above is no longer working or relevant.

Hi Carbon,

We just booked internal flights when there ... maybe if you were flying all the way down the very south the flight pass would be a better deal.. but on the main non tourist routes there's a fair bit of competition and fares are fairly good so I didn't reckon it was worth it.

the airpass on the A. Argentinas site ( [broken link removed] ) doesn't look to me like a spectacular deal .. especially if you're flying to there on another airlines.

joanmul said:
I was there last year and we went on a prebooked flight to the Iguazu Falls. After such a long journey to get to Argentina I think it would be a pity to spend 18 hours in a coach when you can get to the Falls in about 5 hours (if there is a stopover - sometimes there is - to pick up other passengers - it's only about half hour stop). The Falls themselves are so spectacular that you want to spend all day there - we spent two days looking at them! One day is spent on the Argentinian side and the other day on the Brazilian side which is the more spectacular. We went on the dinghy trip under the Falls - bring your togs - it's a never to be forgotten trip.

We were on a budget hence the bus trip...it was an overnight one so we saved on the hotel;)

We did the dinghy trip too....great fun.

On an aside note, we got a quote for long haul flights from Dub-Buenos aires and then the internal flights in argentina from trailfinders today.

I've just found the same longhaul flights (exact same) for a bit cheaper online and also the internals with Aerolineas Argentina (i dont know who trailfinders were using) and it saves me a good couple of euro overall.

is there any major disadvantage to me booking the flights myself or would you recommend just using trailfinders?

thanks

Back