Anybody have experience in living in an Insulated Concrete formwork (ICF) House?

The single coat plaster render would not be recommended at this moment as there has being some cracking with it on ICF walling even though it has BS certification for such. This is being used sucessfully on the thermo X type walls ie poured mass concrete or precast sections with the insulation glued and nailed to it and the monocresh finish sprayed on it.

The acrylic three coat plaster system with the bedded mesh in the base coats and the top coat can be got with a non maintenance colour and is proved to work with ICF and gives a great finish and is water resistant. This is what we used and it looks great.

The cost can vary with Acrylic as the some of the colours (bright blues) cost a lot more. The m2 cost installed for Acrylic is around the EUR45 to EUR50 depending on qty, location etc.. We had about 235sq mtrs and it cost just under 45/€sq/mtr in Dub.

A recommended plastering company the does a lot of acrylic work is Powerplaz and based in the North. They also do the single coat systems but still recommend the acrylic with the ICF. This is whom we used

The material cost for Nudura and concrete is approx EUR75 /mtr sq plus install cost. This can vary depending on where you are and how much you pay for concrete.

Hope this helps

Polo,

Thanks for the update. Will touch base with you in cold December to see how the heating is going if that is OK.

Did you use a normal roofing system or one which was spplied by your ICF guys.

I am leaning towards the direction of ICF for our new build.

Thanks again

Dinny

No problem -I will be monitoring it in any case.

A recommended plastering company the does a lot of acrylic work is Powerplaz and based in the North.

To add an additional voice, I saw a nudura ICF house [broken link removed] did and the finish was exceptional.

1 of the pluses of using them I believe is that they spend alot of time covering windows etc before they start any plastering. Then also clean it all off again at the end.

Here's a company worth checking out that are doing high quality builds from a Canadian ICF manufacturer called Quadlock. I have been in some of the houses that they have completed and have been very impressed. I know that they have built a number of them that have had machine rendered finishes. I believe they use Powerplas to do this work.
[broken link removed]

Here's a company worth checking out that are doing high quality builds from a Canadian ICF manufacturer called Quadlock. I have been in some of the houses that they have completed and have been very impressed. I know that they have built a number of them that have had machine rendered finishes. I believe they use Powerplas to do this work.
[broken link removed]

Are you associated with this company?

Hi Ninsaga
I know the owners, but I don't work for them. I've seen some of the houses they have built so I'm familair with the finished product. I've built my own house and I'm qualified as a BER assessor, so I'd like to think I know good work when i see it!!

Hi,

I know it's difficult to give an accurate answer to this but I just got a price for an ICF home of €80,000 with interior block. Is this good? House size is 3000 sq ft.

Thanks,

Dee

Dee,
i am only starting on prices now and havent got any back yet
Is this price supply of the formwork or supply and errect with concrete

regards

dinny

Hi Dinny,

it's the whole thing except plastering. The savings on heating are there....I know that but at the same time it seems so much more expensive than going with block. Though I believe it's much easier for work to be done on an ICF house by plumbers, electricians etc.

Dee

Back