Any way to password protect a router?

Sn@kebite

Is there any way to put a password on my router to stop other users connecting an ethernet cable and using it?

Thanks!

Does MAC address locking/filtering work on the wired connections for your router? I'm not sure if this normally only works on the wireless access.

Does MAC address locking/filtering work on the wired connections for your router? I'm not sure if this normally only works on the wireless access.
I've heard of that but i'm sure it's only Wireless. I just wanted something like a login screen in order to autherise the use of the modem.
Thanks!

.could you try disabling dhcp on the router and only allocate addresses when you log on to a range that youve set prior? you'll need to hardcode the address on your client but should work.

I would have thought tying down to MAC address would be first choice though and I actually thought that was router access based not just wireless.

Try some of the net nanny software thats out there, may be a better option. googles your friend there.

It may also be possible to allow wired access to the LAN but not to the internet connection through judicious configuration of the router's firewall?

Anything useful in [broken link removed] (Linksys WRT54G specific) thread?

.could you try disabling dhcp on the router and only allocate addresses when you log on to a range that youve set prior? you'll need to hardcode the address on your client but should work.

I would have thought tying down to MAC address would be first choice though and I actually thought that was router access based not just wireless.

Both of these are a good approach, MAC address filtering applies to both wired and wireless connections

Both of these are a good approach, MAC address filtering applies to both wired and wireless connections
Does it not depend on the router? I was pretty sure that I had come across routers that only applied it to wireless but not wired access.

To be fair, you could be right, I was only going on my experience of my Belkin and, as far as I can remember, Eircoms Netopia boxes. I havn't seen a router where it only applied to wireless

I think that this is the case with my but it may also depend on the firmware revision.

What is the router model?
Are we talking about one of those broadband routers/firewalls/WAPs?

Firstly disable wireless if not using it.
If using wireless enable encryption (Radius server if available) and lock down MAC addresses.
For wiredconnections, simple way is to disable DHCP and go with static IPs. Change router default internal gateway IP so that not one of standard ones (192.168.1.1, etc). That way people would have harder time to guess the range and the gateway if they were configuring static on their computer.

Of course there are always ways around this, if they have physical access to the router itself.

Back