Any way to check when fibre will be available in my area?

In answer to your original question -- were KN Circet the network installation guys you spoke to?
Yes it was. I couldn't remember when I posted originally but recalled since.
We had them pull fibre through underground ducting nearly 2 years ago and string it up the telephone poles to drop points, all ready to go. Took almost a year after that before it went live. The online maps were useless, and even Eir couldn't tell you over the phone when it would happen. They said that it was up to the "engineering department" and the support people didn't know any more than you could get on the online maps.
Thanks. Still no sign of fibre services here and now I'm in a new 12 month VM contract, so I'll see what the story is in a year's time I guess.

There are pockets in Dublin city with are 'cut off' by the Luas lines. They cannot be dug or crossed over to easily to lay new infrastructure. There are plenty of spare ducts etc, but it is no longer a simple issue of putting a overhead line between two buildings or digging a trench.

So the saga continues...
The Circet guys were around again this week and I had a chat with them.
They're working on behalf of Open Eir.
They told me that they were installing fibre and that it's still copper only in the estate.
So I don't know if the Circet guy a few years ago was fibbing or what.
The latest guys said that once they have it installed it should be a matter of weeks until retail services are rolled out.
Fingers crossed as my VM cable broadband contract is up in the summer and I'd prefer not to have to do the cancellation and re-sign up dance in order to get the new customer preferential rates...

Last edited:
So the saga continues...
The Circet guys were around again this week and I had a chat with them.
They're working on behalf of Open Eir.
They told me that they were installing fibre and that it's still copper only in the estate.
So I don't know if the Circet guy a few years ago was fibbing or what.
The latest guys said that once they have it installed it should be a matter of weeks until retail services are rolled out.
Fingers crossed as my VM cable broadband contract is up in the summer and I'd prefer not to have to do the cancellation and re-sign up dance in order to get the new customer preferential rates...
See if you have good 5g coverage. My BB is now 5g and speeds are 200mb + even at peak time.

I was you in October

I was dancing in February.

Just checked what's available now and there's nothing to suggest I'll be hanging up my dancing shoes yet.

See if you have good 5g coverage. My BB is now 5g and speeds are 200mb + even at peak time.
Yes - I will consider 5G when I'm closer to the end of my Virgin Media contract.
But there's a gamer in the house and I'm not sure that they'd appreciate the latencies on wireless broadband...
Who are you with for 5G broadband and did you get your own modem/router or take it from the service provider?

Not sure what "installed" means but middle of summer last year the fibre guys called to my house in Blackrock, Co Dublin to ask permission to run the cables up to my ESB meter in the garage and that's the last I've heard from them
None of the providers we contacted at renewal in March were able to give a date as to when we might get service
But in fairness the service I have from Pure is at the moment ample for our needs

Not sure what "installed" means
In this case they seem to be just installing it in the ducts in the estate. They're not knocking on doors or running it from the path/kerb to individual homes as far as I know. I don't know if that only happens when somebody signs up for a fibre based service (which is not possible right now).
but middle of summer last year the fibre guys called to my house in Blackrock, Co Dublin to ask permission to run the cables up to my ESB meter in the garage and that's the last I've heard from them
None of the providers we contacted at renewal in March were able to give a date as to when we might get service
But in fairness the service I have from Pure is at the moment ample for our needs
Seems crazy to me that parts of the capital city still cannot get fibre services in this day and age. As I've said before, I'm c. 3km as the crow flies from the Spire although I'm aware that telecoms cabling often flies much more circuitous routes...

Yes - I will consider 5G when I'm closer to the end of my Virgin Media contract.
But there's a gamer in the house and I'm not sure that they'd appreciate the latencies on wireless broadband...
Who are you with for 5G broadband and did you get your own modem/router or take it from the service provider?
I'm with Three. Using their modem but have an external booster.
No gamer here. Just Netflix and general stuff.

20mb would probably be sufficient for me.

Back