Any way of easily spoofing my computer IP address to make it look like its in the UK?

Wahaay

I'm travelling for a few weeks this winter and want to keep in touch with some sports commentary via Radio 5 Live on the laptop - trouble is some of their coverage will be blocked because of rights restrictions.

Is there any way of easily spoofing whatever local computer IP address I'm using with a wifi to make it look like I'm in the UK ?

Thanks.

overplay - but you will have to pay for the privilege. There are free proxies out there...i'm sure if you keep searching you would (eventually) find a good one. However, I got hacked off trying that. You can just sign up for 1 month.

Sorry to be ignorant - which I am about all things IT - but how does Overplay work ?
There I am sat on my sun lounger on a beach in SE Asia and I have my netbook using the hotel's wifi.
And I want to go on to the BBC Radio website.
Presumably I can'[t disguise that fact that the hotel's IP address isn't in the UK.

Overplay simply changes your IP address to one of theirs in the UK so as far as BBC is concerned, you are in the UK.

There are plenty of sites that let you listen to any radio station if you don't want to go down that road.

Expatshield

ExpatShield, but you won't have to pay for the privilege ;).

Allows me watch BBC iPlayer from Dublin. I assume it would work from other non-UK locations too.

@ Tarfhead: Do you know is there any way to get rid of the annoying ads that appear at the top of the browser window when you activate Expatshield?

from Overplay.net subscription $10/month.

What is a VPN?

A VPN is an acronym meaning 'Virtual Private Network', historically used by private organisations to link geographically diverse locations seamlessly via the internet. A VPN 'tunnels' traffic between two devices by transmitting it over the public internet. Overplay takes this one step further by giving you the option to encrypt all the traffic you send and receive, and additionally allows you to 'appear' to be located many miles (and often in a different country!) from where you really are.
Security

What data is encrypted?

That is up to you! Since encryption actually increases the size (and the computing power) required to send data, we leave that decision in your hand. We can offer both encrypted and non-encrypted VPN profiles. Non-encrypted profiles are obviously faster, but are less suited to use in public areas liable to 'sniffing', such as WiFi hotspots.
Do you keep logs of web sites I visit?

No! Honestly, we have no interest in which web sites you visit. It doesn't affect our business and so, as long as it's legal, feel free to visit wherever you like. We only log connection times and data usage totals - and this is only stored for a limited period.
What usage restrictions do you enforce?

As few as possible to maintain a healthy service for all users. All we ask is that you keep it legal, and consider the impact of what you're doing on any other users who may be trying to enjoy our service.
What is the minimum subscription term?

You pay monthly in advance, and that is your only commitment. If you choose to cancel your subscription, which you can do at any time by visiting your PayPal account, you'll retain any access time you'd already paid for, and you won't be rebilled. After that, you're obviously free to rejoin us at any point, should you wish to do so.

spoofing UK IP

Hi,
This can be done for free by setting up Tor and foxyproxy used with Firefox browser. It is not a simple thing to do but it is possible to get access to BBC iPlayer from outside UK using this method. I can't really go into the full details because it would take a long time. I find it useful for BBC3 and BBC4 that I don't get with our ordinary TV package. There are other threads on this can be googled.
Regds,
Gearoid

@ Tarfhead: Do you know is there any way to get rid of the annoying ads that appear at the top of the browser window when you activate Expatshield?

No - I close down then reload the browser to flush all that stuff away. I assume ExpatShield survives through advertising - that's the 'cost' of free software.

- cheapest there is and works fine - £25 for the first year - £17 after that.

Thanks sfag but when I go to the site I see a lot of stuff but nothing about spoofing IP addresses. How does onspeed achieve this?

Thanks sfag but when I go to the site I see a lot of stuff but nothing about spoofing IP addresses. How does onspeed achieve this?

I use it. It works. It is technically a download accelerator - except it browses your net traffic thru its UK server - if you download the uk server .exe that they provide. Simply as that.
fyi - its not a vpn. All other methods cost more - in my experience.
Renewals are usually around €17 for the year.

Witopia WiTopia also works but is $59 per year
Identity cloaker, as recommended by the george hook tech show - I could not get to work.

They are all really just proxy servers.

Don't believe their claims regarding your anonymity on the Interweb, someone is always watching. These fake IP addresses really just point you to a proxy server that handles the traffic on your behalf. Most businesses will use proxy servers within their own networks to channel all internet traffic in and out through one firewalled gateway. This keeps their internal communications safe from the wider world. They can also easy block sites they deem contrary to their policies and procedures.

All the products mentioned here are owned by companies supplying domain/web hosting services. Its probably a way for them to check where people are going and possibly generating sales leads for them. Nothing is really for free, or even cheap.

I tried the trail version of the real-hide-ip and found it is owned by Go-Daddy one of the largest domain name registrars in the world. It worked fine, although when I uninstalled the app, it still left the addons in my web browser. A possible backdoor for someone to exploit. How many people actually check that everything is removed when they uninstall a program?

My advice, is go ahead with what ever one you feel comfortable with, just bear in mind that someone, somewhere, knows what you're doing!

Back