Any way of claiming on expensive routine dental work?

S

sixtyseven

I am getting a lot of routine dental work done all at once and according to the criteria as set down by the revenue, I am not covered. Yet it is costing me close to 2,000 euro. I am working and paying paye but there have been periods over the last 5 years where I was not working or was out of the country, so I cannot claim that way.

Is there any way - at all at all at all - that I can claim anything on this expensive undertaking? I do not think that there is, but hopefully I am mistaken.

sixtyseven said:
I am getting a lot of routine dental work done all at once and according to the criteria as set down by the revenue, I am not covered.
You mean for MED2 tax relief? Why not? See this thread. Or maybe you mean PRSI treatment benefit?

Only [broken link removed] are eligible for tax relief.
What Treatments do not qualify for relief?
  • Routine Dental Care
Tax relief is not available for the cost of scaling, extraction and filling of teeth and the provision and repair of artificial teeth and dentures.
The only way to recover these costs, unless you've a Medical Card or some other eligibility for free dental care, is to purchase private cover such as the [broken link removed] — and it ain't cheap! :(

The work I'm getting done falls under the category of that which is excluded in the med 2 form. It looks like VHI is my only option. Would they cover treatment which occured before signing up with VHI ,as in the past 6 weeks.

Thank you for your help and prompt replies.

I'll give them a call.

Thanks again for the advice.

Back