Any value in a second toilet?

Peanut

Hi there,

I will be renovating a two-bed house soon and am trying to get plans together. There is a toilet downstairs at the moment but if I want to keep it, it will have to be moved. In turn this will make the kitchen smaller and will add costs to the (limited) renovation budget. There is already a bathroom upstairs so I was wondering if a second toilet downstairs will add any value to the house or would I be better off with a bigger kitchen?? My reasoning is that people spend money to put extra toilets in so if its there already maybe I should keep it.....any ideas?

IMHO if upstairs has a separate toilet and bathrom then it might be ok to do away with it but otherwise the toilet downstairs is a must unless it will make the kitchen extremely small.

Peanut, you don't make it clear whether this is going to be your own home, or a do-it-up-and-sell-it-on venture. But — unless you're really tight for space — I'd hang on to the downstairs loo if at all possible. You mightn't need it yourself right now, but others might...

I will be living in the house but obviously will want to make sure that its as 'sellable' as possible in a few years time. It will make the kitchen quite small and it will take up about a quarter of my budget for the entire project to keep the toilet. Do you really need two toilets in a two bedroom house?

Personally I'd prefer a bigger kitchen. Grew up in a 3 bed house with one bathroom (upstairs) and it did me no harm. Now I'm in a 3 bed house with 3 toilets and it's a bit of a waste of space really. The plan (when I've some money) is to turn either the en-suite into a walk in wardrobe or the downstairs loo into a utility room.

In a 2 bed house one bathroom upstairs is enough..

Kitchens sell houses so if the kitchen is small that will turn off more people.
People tend to have wish lists..
a) big kitchen /diner
b) ensuite
c) utility

A downstairs toilet would be low on any of these lists.. better off making the kitchen a good as possible.

Thanks for that....I think the bigger kitchen will win out. Will also have a bigger budget for the kitchen if I dont keep the loo so that might help in the selling-on stakes. Thanks again.

Back