Any Suggestions - Long weekend around Europe.

Dman

Hi Folks,
Myself and my wife are planning to head away somewhere around Europe for an extra long weekend e.g. 4 or 5 days at the end of May or begining of June.

We are both in our early 30's and ideally we're looking for somewhere which is nice and warm, nice and chilled, and has plenty to see and do e.g. good places to eat & drink in at night, and has plenty of things to see during the day. - I know I'm not asking alot....

In Europe we've already been to Rome, Venice, Madrid, Barc, and not really looking for a beach holiday.

Would anyone have any suggestions of a place to go?

Fly to Bilbao and split some time between there and San Sebastien (1 hr or so away) where you can eat and drink like a king.

Right now you could get Thursday to Tuesday flights with Aer Lingus for €65 euro each. Bar-gain, if I had the time I'd do it myself!!

Flight out on Thursday 29th May, back on Tuesday 3rd June, ex Dublin.

I'd suggest Prague - lovely city, and 4-5 days would be plenty of time to see everything. Lovely old town, castle, boat trips on river, food is great and weather that time of year will be lovely. Also Dubrovnik? Heading there myself in June, anyone i've spoken to who's been there before loved it.

Paris is lovely and good value. I love Lake Konstanz in Germany, in fact Bavaria is a great spot. Nice wines too. I've been reading a good few articles recently on Jersey Island, that looks very interesting.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Sorry we're been Prague and thought it was lovely.
I've never been to Paris to be honest, although I heard it's very expenses to eat out and have a few drinks?
The trip to Bilbao & San Seb sounds very interesting. Is there much to see & do there during the day?

Bilbao or Lisbon would have been my first two choices as there's plenty to see/do within a 2 hour radius.

Bilbao - you can get the train to Guernica, visit the Guggenheim in Bilabo, head to San Sebastian or anywhere along the coast

Lisbon - Estoril, Cascais, Sintra, train to Oporto & fly home from there if you want... heaps of choice

To be honest, when I spec'd out this trip for myself I was mainly thinking of the dining in San Sebastien...and would let the days look after themselves - I envisage renting a car to get from Bilbao to San Seb, and so having this free's one up to hang around whichever town soaking up the ambience, or head off to look in local fishing villages/tour wine country etc.

San Seb does have a great beach while Bilbao has the Gugenheim. Any of the newspapers such as the guardian, uk Times etc. will have a range of articles on both destinations.

munich or berlin. did a lot of germany last year and it was amazing. munich is much prettier than berlin and is generally more relaxed - you can also head out to dachau for an afternoon and i'm of the opinion that everyone should visit a concentration camp before they die. It's history laid bare in front of you. Munich has great beer, great restaurtants and great shopping. It's a great city. I wish we had longer there.

Berlin is visually stunning and there is so much to see. It's an incredible city with so much history - and the differences between the old east and west is still remarkable. It also has great restaurants, bars and shopping.

Either would be a great weekend - but if I had to chose, I'd be going for Munich.

Paris is lovely and good value. I love Lake Konstanz in Germany, in fact Bavaria is a great spot. Nice wines too. I've been reading a good few articles recently on Jersey Island, that looks very interesting.

Wishbone, you must be a millionaire !!

Have been to Paris twice and have always found it one of the most expensive cities in Europe.

Like others I would suggest Dubrovnik. Amazing and beautiful city. Food is great - lots of fresh seafood but also steaks etc. Food and drink prices are reasonable - not dirt cheap but certainly not expensive. Weather is lovely. Theres lots of boat trips you can do to the surrounding islands. You can also do a day trip to Montenegro or Medjugorie (sorry I know thats not spelled correctly!!). Inside the old city walls of Dubrovnik itself is probably the most beautiful place i've seen, it has almost entirely been preserved to the way it was when it was built all those years ago, its magical.

I really cannot say enough good things about this city, its amazing. Never been anywhere like it. I've been to alot of European cities but I'd nowhere as nice as Dubrovnik.

From what you've posted yourself and your partner sound similar to my partner and me in what we look for in holidays - I think you'd love Dubrovnik.

I would suggest for something different to fly to Tempera in Finland, you can fly with Ryanair and to the city from airport is around 20min.Nice cultural things to see and people friendly .It is part of the euro and the place the Finns go on holiday. May day there is a really big event aswell.

South of France. Fly to Nice, can cover Cannes, Monaco & so on.
Doesn't have to be too expensive, but you'll want to avoid the Cannes film festival (14-25 May) and the Monaco grand prix (25th May).

Fly to Carcassonne, hire a canalboat/barge. Travel the fantastic Canal du Midi. Lots of places to visit + restaurants cafes along the way.....see this...... [broken link removed]

Hi Folks,
Thanks very much for all your replies...
I really like the sound of Dubrovnik, Bilbao & San Sab & Munich & Berlin.
It only I could do all three..

I've heard aloads of great reports about Dubrovnik, so might look into going there.
Dee101, is there any particular hotel you would recommend?

San Sebastian. I was there last October. Stay in Old town. www.pensionedorta.com
Lots of tapas bars. Hop from one to the other. Walk the beach, enjoy a Menu del Dia.
Take a day trip to Hondarribia on the local bus or day trip to Bilbao. Simple to do. We did San Sebastian, Bilbao and Vitoria in 7 days all on public transport. See forum for San Sebastian for lots of info.

We also did Dubrovnik, staying at the Hotel Lero within walking distance of the old town. Dubrovnik is lovely but very small. We thought that the restaurants were a bit expensive with not as much choice as San Sebastian. If you do go, walk the walls of the old town. For me Dubrovnik gets 7 out of 10 but San Sebastian gets a 9.5 out of 10.

We were originally planning on going for our break in May/ June but looking more likely it will be July.
Would Dubrovnik be very busy and extremly hot in July or would it be fine?

Back