Any regrets returning to live in Ireland after living in U.K. some years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lorna, I think your comparisons are more of a City / Country debate, the majority of British people do not live in London and although it is an amazing city, it really is quite a different living experience than that which most British people experience. Most of your points in Ireland's favour can be applied to the countryside in the UK.
Gypsy Girl, maybe you should move back to the UK? there is no need to stick it out just because you made a decision four years ago

Hi, I've just come back after 20 years over there. I don't have any regrets but its like being in a foreign country - everyone was saying how nice it was to be 'back home'. Back home????? huh, its a foreign country to what I left in '86.
Now I know a lot of the changes have been for the better but some things take the biscuit -
a) 2 months trying to get to speak to someone sensible in Eircom about getting a telephone line in - usual comment 'nothing to do with me' 'no we don't have a supervisor you can speak to' 'no we don't do saturday call outs' and when totally stumped for an answer they just hang up
b) spending 20 minutes on the phone to a well known car insurance company giving them all my details and then a few days later getting a 4 page document in the post to fill in the same details manually......
c) finance companies insisting on utility bill as proof of address......... how can a person have a utility bill if they are in rented accomodation where utilities are in someone elses name and your mobile phone is pay as you go??? then 4 weeks later casually saying they would be able to accept car insurance document....
I could go on for days. Its the red tape and bureaucracy that makes most normal every day transactions so long winded.
Also, people say they will do somehting, ring back, organise something and then never do.
And your right, English people do take longer to get to know you and you them but then you have friends for life. Irish people are full of sweetness and light and then stab you in the back (its happened to me already since I've been back).
Sorry this is so long but its good to get it off my chest.

If you are interested in knowing what's really going on in Europe, read Mark Steyn 'America Alone'.
[...]
or 'While Europe Slept' by Bruce Bawer
[...]
Another good one by Melanie Phillips 'Londonistan'
All of these are appallingly bigotted right wing ranters, with apocalyptic views on Europe's future. So, since I have no intention of enriching any of them by buying their bile-soaked books, maybe you'd care to tell me what is "really going on in Europe"?

Europe is finished, and Ireland will not be able to stay out of it.
The wha'?

Tolerating the intolerant is not tolerance, but indifference, and a betrayal of your grandchildren. Ireland is not immune.
Ah, how profound. Personally, I just can't stand intolerance.

Such an 'intelligent' reply. Wow, you've convinced me. I've been wrong all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back