Any one handy with camera terminology?

landlord

Just bought a new point and shoot camera the Canon sd950, also called the Canon ixus 960is. It has 12.1 mega pixels.
Have to say the pics/video are unbelievable !!

It has three video modes which are 1024 x 768 at 15 fps and 640 x 480 at 30 fps and 320 x 240 at 30 fps.
What does this mean?
When using the 1024 x 768 at 15 fps mode, approximately a minutes recording used 150 mb of memory....wow !!!! Mind you the video quality is the same as my camcorder.

The 1024X768 is a higher resolution and thus gives you a lower (15) Frames Per Second (fps). I'd imagine (but am not sure) that each setting will use up the same or similar memory as the lower you go down with resolution, the higher the fps - both resolution and fps will affect memory usage. So your lower resolution videos will have smoother (faster) action.

Video is a real memory hog.

Hope this helps
Sprite

why not record a minute in each and compare file size, qualiy etc.

DVD quality is 720 (width in pixels) x 480 (height in pixels) 30 frames per second, so the 640 x 480 30fps is near dvd quality, and is perfectly good for watching on a tv.

The 1024 x 768 is the standard resolution of a non-widescreen computer monitor, and is more than what you need for tv playback, so in effect it's a waste of memory to use it, as you probably won't really notice the difference. In fact it might seem a bit worse due to the lower frame rate as motion will not look as fluid.

320 x 240 is fine for internet usage, but you're better off to shoot in a higher resolution and recode it as necessary. You can reduce good quality video, but you can't improve low quality.

Video is a memory hog. On my N95 phone 640 x 480 30fps uses over 20mB per minute of video. Buy a few medium size memory cards and you'll be fine - I always prefer to have a few mid sized cards rather than have all my eggs in one large card.

Back