Any implications re driving without NCT thats due?

Betsy Og

As is now the norm, as far as I can tell, I got no notification of NCT. I thought of it recently (1st NCT) so rang up and its due in about 3 weeks but I cant get the car tested in time.

They'd have gotten to me eventually I was told, but now I'm on a priority list.

Seems clear that the system is overburdened and there are probably thousands of drivers out there without an NCT through no fault of their own.

Anyone in the insurance industry know if theres any problem here (I dont want to ask directly for obvious reasons)?
I gather it may be technically illegal to drive without the NCT but I cant imagine its being enforced strictly or, if so, shouldnt people get off in court since the testing system isnt working.

Last edited:
there are probably thousands of drivers out there without an NCT through no fault of their own.

As far as I remember, the NCT make it clear that the onus is on the vehicle owner to ensure the car is submitted for testing. Reminder is only a courtesy.

From the NCT web site:

6. Will I be notified when my test is due?
NCTS will contact owners of eligible motor vehicles (based on official vehicle registration records) in advance of the anniversary date of first registration of your car. You will be offered a provisional appointment for the test that must either be confirmed or rearranged by using our on-line booking service or calling our LoCall booking number. If you do not hear from NCTS and think your car may be eligible for the NCT, then please phone us on 1890 412 413 or you can check our on-line service by simply typing in your car registration number. Owners of cars that have been off the road or have not been taxed for over 3 months will not be notified and it will be necessary for the owner to contact NCTS directly themselves. PLEASE NOTE: NCTS can issue your certificate up to six months early for a first time NCT and three months early for subsequent NCT tests. In other words, if your car was first registered in July and it is due for its first NCT, you can have it tested up to 6 months early in January and your certificate will still expire on the anniversary of registration 2 years later. Your certificate is then valid for 2 years and 6 months.

Back