Any ideas as to how to get rid of old toys & old children's books

DB74

At this stage I have accumulated an attic full of toys (mainly boys) and children's books

I also have a dining room full of toys and books as well. The kids call it the play-room, much to my wife's despair, but that's a different story!

So with 2 birthdays in the next 6 months and Santa expected at the end of the year, is there somewhere I can get rid of the old stuff, some of which is very good.

2 years ago Smyths did a toy clear-out thingy where you could bring all unwanted toys and they took them off you but I missed it by one day and then last year they didn't do anything at all.

Do hospitals take toys and/or books for children?

I really don't want to just bin them but all they are doing is taking up space at this stage.

Hi db74 I am doing some charity work for Crumlin Hospital - if you want I can take them off you and will sell them on in a car boot sale with the proceeds going to the hospital.

Ping me if you are interested !

You could drop them into various charity shops - if the toys / books are in good / working condition, they will be able to sell them on...

try jumbletown.ie or indeed sell them for a few euro on adverts.ie etc. local national school may be interested.

I know Iv told all family friends etc no more toys etc as its Santa's job (who only brings one each), clothes, vouchers, days out, etc.

Our local charity shop take all our toys (we filter out the broken ones) and sell them on. Ditto for books.

adverts.ie is free, dondeal now €1. Iv never even heard of babybay so €5 seems very expensive for only 4 weeks, even if you'd many adds.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I would prefer to give them to charity rather than sell them myself so I'll give alexandra123 first refusal

Bit late but I used to give away stuff on jumbletown.ie too but the last couple of times I did I felt that the recipient did not take the item for themself but rather to sell on. Jumbletown make the point on their website that this kind of thing is not against the ethos or rules of their website, but I preferred it more when I thought I was giving something to someone who might actually need it themselves and benefit from it.

Nice to see here that a childrens hospital will benefit at the end of the day.

Back