Any good comedy movies on DVD?

Staples

Always on the look out for a good comedy to lighten the mood (especially these days).

Maybe I'm just turing into a nostalgic middle-aged fart but for me the comedies of the 80s struck the right balance of giving your brain a break without being completely asinine.

Can anyone recommend a comendy along the lines of, say, The Blues Brothers; Trading Places; Analyse This; Planes, Trains and Automobiles, etc?

What are people's favoutites either current or historic?

Just buy a back catalogue of Abbott & Costello, Laurel & Hardy and The 3 Stooges.

You will always laugh at those!

PS, how could I forget, Fawlty Towers, Only Fools And Horses & Porridge

PS, how could I forget, Fawlty Towers, Only Fools And Horses & Porridge

The oldies are the best. Don't forget Are You Being Served.

( ground floor perfumery, stationery & leather goods, wigs & haberdashery kitchenware & food, going up.... :D )

( ground floor perfumery, stationery & leather goods, wigs & haberdashery kitchenware & food, going up.... :D )

The best 70s sitcom theme tune in the world ever BTW - Citizen Smith comes a close second.

+ +1 to Fawlty Towers.

In recent years, if it's your thing, Peep Show is complete genius IMO.

I'd love to get my hands on some A bit of Fry & Laurie - their sketch show from the 80s - has anyone seen it?

I'd love to get my hands on some A bit of Fry & Laurie - their sketch show from the 80s - has anyone seen it?

Youtube has quite a few of their sketches (i know its not DVD) but its a good reminder.

anon473

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

It was more movies rather then TV shows that I had in mind.

In the Loop is a film which recently came out on DVD. It is based on the TV political comedy written by Armando Annuci, The Thick of it.

I thought it was the funniest film I saw in years.

As recently mentioned in the anchorman thread - "see no evil hear no evil" - Wilder and Prior

What about "Blazing Saddles" another classic

Bob Hope anyone? Paleface and Son of Paleface. to name only 2.

Paddy

If you like Ben Stiller, or maybe even if you're not a particular fan, Meet the Parents is v good, Tropic Thunder is a bit dummer but not bad.

The Farrelly Bros stuff is good, somewhat ... err "gross out" at times but films like There's Something About Mary is a great laugh

Some great suggestions but I've seen most of them. (I'd watch Dirty Rotten Scoundrels forever).

I was thinking in terms of more recent ones that match the quality of old (God, now I'm an OLD fart). "There's something about Mary" is an example of really good one from the current era but I can't think of any others.

Keep them coming!

Thanks

Staples, an 80's Steve Martin favourite of mine was The Man with Two Brains. Very silly but a good laugh.

The Snapper always make me laugh.

I'm doin this for you, ya sluh !!, and loads of other quotable quotes, e.g.

I think I'm going to cry
F the neighbours
Buy yourself some sweets...ahh.. drinks
I'll always remember you Shar-den
Saw the b..ix off himself
I suppose a r___ is outa the question

One of my favourites of all time and far better than Commitments or the Van (the Van has loads of cliched cringe of kids chasing the chipper van around the estate, up the road)

If you fancy a boxset that will keep you entertained for a while, head to Xtravision and get the 3 series of Arrested Development.

Very funny show with some hilarious characters.

Also another vote for Peep Show - fantastic comedy that so many people have not seen.

Don't waste your time with any of the so-called 'fantastically funny' modern comedies (most tend to feature that idiot with the goatee who is in Pineapple Express, Zack and Miri, Knocked Up etc) - most of them are devoid of laughs. The Hangover is ok but greatly overhyped.

Back