Any Credit Cards with a loyalty scheme ?

FranknMine

I was wondering are there any credit cards available in Ireland that offer a loyalty scheme ?
I had this years ago with the Yourpoints scheme on my Ulster Bank card. It was great, at the end of each year I had enough Dunness vouchers to cover the Christmas shopping.
I spend a lot on my card each month as I travel abroad a lot with work and use my personal card for that. I believe that Amex offer a 1% cash back scheme but they seem to be impossible to get in Ireland. A search on the forums doesn't show anything in recent years...

I've an AIB Platinum Visa Card that gives me 0.5% cashback on amounts over €5,000 (up to €50k).

Not exactly life changing but I suppose it's better than a kick in the pants.:)

I've an AIB Platinum Visa Card that gives me 0.5% cashback on amounts over €5,000 (up to €50k).

Not exactly life changing but I suppose it's better than a kick in the pants.:)
Me too nice to get a €10 or so Back each month . Once you cumulatively exceed 50k the next 5k is at zero and then 0.5pc starts again .

I've an AIB Platinum Card as well - nice to get the 10~15 euro back each month. But I don't know if these cards are still available.

Another option is the Revolut account/card. It's a banking app and you can have a virtual and physical card. You can freeze the cards when not in use, and load them with transfers from your debit card. So they are pretty secure in that you can't spend more than what's in the account, which is handy if it is compromised.

The reason I suggest this card is that you say you travel abroad a lot, and it has no fees, no government €40 card charge (savings already!), and it also has the best currency conversion rates. You can transfer your balance into different currencies so as to avail of good rates. Myself and a few friends have them and use them for on-line shopping, where they don't take Paypal.

Loyalty schemes are effectively gone across the EU since the EU capped interchange fees - this used to be a massive revenue stream for the card issuing bank, which they partly passed on through loyalty schemes. Interchange fee income has reduced by about 2bn per annum across the EU.

AIB and KBC have some capped schemes which they are mainly funding themselves. KBC is capped at 10 euro per month.

Visa and MasterCard both run schemes available through some banks, and available on both debit and credit cards. These are discounts provided by the retailers.

I believe that Amex offer a 1% cash back scheme but they seem to be impossible to get in Ireland.
And if you do get one, almost impossible to use. The retailer can be charged up to 10% in interchange fees (which is how they can provide a loyalty scheme).

Back