any chance of a further concession stamp duty wise to FTBs in the december budget?

J

joxter

I'm a new poster on this site. Just want to throw a question out there to anyone who might have opinions on the subject. I'm a soon to be first time buyer and I was wondering whether people think there is any chance of a further concession stamp duty wise to FTBs in the december budget ie. couuld it be reduced or even abolished?

Thanks

Re: December budget

I'd say no chance. Heard a Brian Cowan interview about a month ago where he catagorically ruled it out as the concensus was that the last change to the stamp duty bands simply provided a spur to the market, wiping out any gains to FTBs.

They could remove the stamp duty for houses being bought as a PPR. Like with FTB's, there could be a clawback for those selling or renting their home within a specified number of years.

They could remove the stamp duty for houses being bought as a PPR.

That would be fair considering the non-FTB (same as for FTB) buying new builds PPR never pay a cent in SD...... or get these people to pay their fair share :)

Friends of mine keep going from new builds PPR to new builds PPR every 2 years or so, and have never paid SD in their life :mad:

They should introduce the reforms in the Bacon report which McCreevy did away with because he taught that housing starts were falling.

Property prices became static for a while

stamp duty will be left alone as big earner for government, also it is often just factored into the price of houses

a much more sensible idea which would genuinely benefit mortgage holders of 5-7 years, is to increase mortgage interest relief - especially with an upward trend from the ECB...

i suggest Mr Cowen raise from 800e a year to 1200...

Back