Any better alternative to VHI One Plan?

Coldwarrior

My parents' health insurance is up for renewal shortly, they are early 60s, current policy is the VHI One Plan for which they pay roughly 1100 each. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for any good alternatives to this policy, with equivalent or better cover and hopefully a lower premium? I've had a look at the HIA health insurance comparison site but its difficult to know which policies to compare their current one to, there are so many different options!

Hey, I’d say give the company a call, if your parents give you permission on the call you can review the cover on their behalf.

Have a chat with them first and see which aspects of the cover are important, such as which hospitals they want access to, are they happy to have a semi private room in a private hospital?
What are their health concerns? Have they any cardiac or orthopaedic issues? How many hospital admissions have they had in the last five years. Is there anything in the family history they are worried about?

The one plans covers 80% of more major orthopaedic procedures in all private hospitals outside of the Blackrock and Mater Private, the other 20% can be a negotiation between the patient and the hospital they chose. Hospitals have been known to waive it to get patients in.

Ask your parents if they incur many day to day medical expenses? GP / consultant visits etc If they do, a plan with a lower day to day excess may be helpful. (The amount that’s disallowed before any refund is made)
I would strongly recommend against increasing the excess on the policy to decrease the cost as this excess is payable on each and every private hospital admission, whether day care or inpatient and the older we get the more admission we have. So you might save 100 for increasing the excess but end up paying a 250 excess ten times in the year

Once you have a clear picture of their health status, hospital preferences and budget you be more confident about making the right choice

They should start thinking about a plan with full orthopaedic (joints) and opthalmic (eyes) cover as when you increase is takes two years for the higher benefits to kick in.

Back