Any benefit for part-time worker?

S

setanta74

We have recently had our first child and my wife has returned to work but in a part-time capacity in order to care for our child as much as possible.

Are there any social welfare benefits payable to her because she is only working 3 days a week now?

I am not looking for a handout but any others in a similar situation know the financial constraints of trying to work and mind your child.
I am on a very good salary but it is still a struggle.

Another lady in my workplace has just started here part-time and she claims social welfare but she was let go from her previous job.

My wife rang the social welfare and the best answer she got was that she could claim illness benefit by getting a doctor to sign a cert that she was "depressed". This amazed me coming from within the SW office.

Your wife would not be entitlied to Jobseeker Beneift/allowance if she requested the reduction to 3 days a week and if she is not available for full-time work.

"Another lady in my workplace has just started here part-time and she claims social welfare but she was let go from her previous job."

She got this because she was fully unemployed before she found part-time work.

Have you tried fis(family income support) it is done by social welfare. They take your debts and a certain number of expenses into account when accessing you so even if you think you are above the income threshold they advertise you might not be.

i asked for a shorter working week (3 days one week and 2 days next week rotating), 9 years ago so I could raise my 3 children. This has worked out perfectly for us in terms of work/life balance, but I do feel a bit sore as I know a number of people in the same situation but their employer has signed a form saying they have only 3 days work for that employee. Therefore they can claim benefit for remaining days, which apparently even includes Saturday! Yes, they can work for 3 days and claim for 3 days.
Even in the case of redundancy, many women (sorry I dont mean to be sexist), choose a shorter working week for their next job because they know they will be down very little money because of this.
I do think its a welfare area that needs a complete overhaul.

Back