Any advice - money mistakenly lodged to my account.

T

tweeny

Hi

I need some advice please.
This evening I was checking my balance of my bank account and was pleasantly surprised for a change....but what's happened is that someone has lodged a nice sum of money in my account by mistake. I just want to know what I should do about this? It's very tempting jsut to keep my mouth shut and hope the mistake won't be found and the money will be mine but I presume this is just wishful thinking. What are my rigths in this situation? I remmerb someone going on about something like this years ago when I was back at college and someone saying if it happens to you , you can spend the money as it was the banks fault and once money is lodged in your accoutn it's yours to do as you wish...is ther any truth in this? I'm just shakign looking at my balance as this money would be so helpful to me and my family. By the way it's not anything lke a million or anything..all I'll say is that it's less than 20,000 but close to that figure ;)

Tweeny

Re: Any advice?

Its a mistake - its not a present. You know its a mistake and if you spend it its theft.

Yes- at some stage someone will notice what has happened and will either remove the money from your account or, if you've spent it ( don't!!!!), they will sue to recover.

Best thing you can do is notify the Bank, advise them of the mistake and ask them to deal with it 'cos otherwise its just going to hang around, causing bother. If you don't notify them and it takes them ages to twig the money will still be causing you bother.

mf

thanks mf1,

i pretty much guessed that it woudl be theft. I wasn't going to touch it but it's nice to dream about what you could do with that money isn't it .
My DP has just said it may be an even weirder mistake though as aroudn this time last year we borrowed money form my mother for a deposit for our mortgage and it was the exact same figure in question. My DP things a computer error may have wrote a similar lodgement in my account the exact same date as it was done from my mum's accoutn last year. I'm trying to find my statements from last year in my home file but of course I can't find the one I need. I will get onto my bank on Monday though.
Thanks

Er, what's a "DP" in this context. The only one I know about probably doesn't fit here!

i can see that it might be tempting to spend but i am glad to hear that you will be contacting the bank on monday. if you were to spend it you would end up paying for it in the long run. i wonder could spending money like that damage your credit rating as well?

Alex.

working for the health board are ya then , may as well keep it coz they'll only blow it quicker than you
Enjoy

Tweeny,
What if it is not a mistake, but that someone wanting to remain anonymous simply wanted to give you a surprise!

Alba Longa said:
Tweeny,
What if it is not a mistake, but that someone wanting to remain anonymous simply wanted to give you a surprise!
In that unlikey scenario the recipient may be liable for gift tax.

Just say you withdrew the cash, stuck in on deposit at 3% and they come looking for it in a year's time, could you say here you go, and keep the interest? Is that still theft? I'm reminded of Father Ted's famous line; "that money was just resting in my account Dougal"......

Sounds a bit mad, Ted... but — technically speaking — I suspect murphaph's suggestion is not outside the bounds of legality!

I doubt very, very much that it would take a full year for an error on this scale to come to light, but, hey, if it did!? — 3% of €20K... :D

Mind you, you'd have to be a complete and utter banker to pull a stunt like that.

Back