Any Advice - Help for Couple

deco87

My friend , recently married , lives with his mother. Father not around. His mother owns the house . He is mid 40s no Kids.

The home situation is very bad. The mother is very difficult to live with , and their is constant rows / stress , its like a pressure cooker .

Its very upsetting for him and indeed his wife , who moved here from the Philippines , with all the difficulties that brings. She is

settling in , but with covid and very difficult home life , the situation is intolerable.

They cannot afford to rent , never mind buy a property , unfortunately. I feel for him. He was saying today he was going to see his local TD

and mentioned mental cruelty and difficulty with his home circumstances , and seeking advice about any assistance he might be able to get.

He works in caring profession , pay would be near enough , basic /living wage. She works part time and similar wages. I just wondered could anyone give any advice

that might allow him to get some practical advice - He wondered if he would be entitled to go on the housing list - he is very desperate.

even to be pointed in the direction of getting advice , would be appreciated.

It sounds like they will be made homeless shortly. Many people need to leave their home situation for a variety of reasons abruptly without the means of finding accommodation.

Perhaps contact https://www.threshold.ie for advice on how to apply for social housing, what to do if they have to leave etc.

Thank you yes I think you are right ( unfortunately) I actually just mentioned them to him yesterday

You would be better to contact Citizens Information. They need to most up to date information and correct advice.

They could (if accepted) put there name down on the housing list but it might take some time too get sorted that way.
Is he a carer for his mother ?

There is no long term plan here - it’s survival at the moment - hoping to be able to get / rent a place - finances are not great despite both working

The priority is to get onto the housing list. Only then would they be eligible to apply for HAP. Need to get Application Form from their Local Authority or from local Citizens Information office. The form is long and must be completed correctly otherwise it will just be returned. Any periods spent living overseas will complicate the issue as they will have to furnish proof that they didn't own property overseas and explain why they left. This is a long process and there is no quick fix.
I genuinely can't see any point in contacting a TD as they have nothing to do with social housing - although they may assist in completing the form.

The priority is to get onto the housing list. Only then would they be eligible to apply for HAP. Need to get Application Form from their Local Authority or from local Citizens Information office. The form is long and must be completed correctly otherwise it will just be returned. Any periods spent living overseas will complicate the issue as they will have to furnish proof that they didn't own property overseas and explain why they left. This is a long process and there is no quick fix.
I genuinely can't see any point in contacting a TD as they have nothing to do with social housing - although they may assist in completing the form.
Thank you very helpful indeed

Get on the housing list and apply for HAP - I know somebody who was offered an apartment three weeks after their application to the council - the person was single and lives in a fairly big town in the country.

Back