Ants

Potblack

Ants invading a pot plant

I have a small rose bush in a ceramic pot on a deck in the garden, not doing very well I might add. I noticed soil around the outside edge of the pot on the deck. When I lifted it I discovered an ant hill and an army of ants. I treated the ant hill with ant podwer and it disapeared. I also put powder around the pot. Subsequently I discovered they had made thier way into the house and I again got rid of them. But now they are back in the rose bush. I have stood the pot in a dish of water, I swear I saw the ants launch a small boat :rolleyes: because they are still invading the plant. I have placed the pot near lavander and sprayed with lavender water (tip I found on the net), and the buggers are still there........

Will I have to get rid of the rose bush all together? I would love some suggestions on what to do? If I do get rid of the bush, what is the safest way to do it without the ant migrating back to my kitchen!

Have check all references already on Askabout, but there is no mention of what to do if the make thier home in a pot plant.

The ants themselves don't damage the roots of plants. The only potential problem is their presence there creates air-pockets so the roots die off at those points. There is no way (given we're talking Mother Nature!) to 'get rid' of an integral part of it such as ants. I've found over the years that using ceramic pot-stands which keep the tubs and pots raised a couple of inches above the ground deter ants, woodlice and anything else that nestles in under containers. There are dozens of ways of killing ants but what's the point? They are hardworking, useful insects who clear up rubbish. You need to encourage them elsewhere. Repotting your shrub rose (letting them find their way off to another site whilst you do so) and placing the container somewhere else is one way to 'lose' them. I'm puzzled about why they're there. If they were shepharding aphids and milking them for their juice I could understand it but it doesn't sound as if your shrub has aphids?

Thanks Marie,

I will repot the rose in a garden bed and see what happens. Normally I would not be bothered by little critters except when the make their way into my kitchen. Only have a small garden hence the pots, so nowher is too far from the kitchen door.

Back