antique book dealer, appropriate to haggle?

rob30

I have spotted a nice rare second book for my other half, in an antique book dealer in Dublin. It is listed for a few grand, and is signed by the author ( pre world war 2 era) , but I would love it at a lower price.
Is haggling appropriate in this setting? ( i am inspired after seeing the man from littlewoods on bbc news this morning discussing tactics for hagglers)

Haggling is the name of the game at the moment- not just Antiques but with everything

I would imagine that the margins are pretty huge in the book business.

Some of the bookshops are very dear. Have you looked for the book on www.abebooks.com . If nothing else, it will give you an idea of the value of the book.

Brendan

I would certainly recommend haggling but hopefully it won't be with one of these guys: [broken link removed]

Haggling is the name of the game at the moment- not just Antiques but with everything

I agree, Haggling is the name of the game....... always. I haggle when buying most things, camcorder, TV, games consoles etc. It embarrasses my wife no end, I love it.

In my work life people haggle with me on a near daily basis so it is something I do naturally. There is no such thing as a set price , you just need to talk to the right person who can knock a bit of.

Back