Ante Natal Classes

dk99

Just wondering if anyone has done one of these One Day Ante Natal classes. Neither of us feel like attending 5/6 one hour sessions so hence teh one day option. Based in Kildare so any recommendations for Dublin / Kildare ares appreciated.

I haven't but based on the weekly ones I attended I assume that it will be pretty much rubbish. At least I found them so- I kept going every week thinking maybe this week I will learn something useful...but not much. The midwives running the course were nice and the only part that was good was that they brought us into the labour ward and showed us the place.

I thinki reading a decent pregnancy book or magazine is as good once you have a tour of the facility you will be using and know the options re pain relief etc what else can you gain from them.
Am a parent three times over btw.

I thinki reading a decent pregnancy book or magazine is as good once you have a tour of the facility you will be using and know the options re pain relief etc what else can you gain from them.
Am a parent three times over btw.

Agree with this- you will learn much much more from reading a book like 'What to expect when you're expecting' or the likes. Although seeing the labour ward and delivery rooms beforehand was something that sort of made me more relaxed going in.

definitely worth seeing the labour ward. Go in and ask for a tour if you won't be attending th hospital classes. Have a friend who did the one day thing and paid for it, thought it was rubbish. I liked my hospital classes run by the Dominos midwives. Met a couple at the end who had just had a baby very interesting, video of birth and breastfeeding.

Mmmm, we had a video of birth and breastfeeding in ours too. Think it was made in the 70s, Mr.V turned white during the birth one and discreetly averted his eyes, I watched through and naturally we had a row in the car on the way home...as I recall I actually set him homework of several chapters in the above mentioned book and tested him afterwards. Pregnancy hormones!

I would agree with all previous posters. There is no need to attend these classes at all as long as you are happy you are aware of all the choices, options and services available to you before, during and after labour.

I did not attend ante-natal classes myself, read loads of books and while at one of my check-ups in the hosiptal I asked if I could visit the delivery and labour ward. I was given a tour by one of the maternity nurses, very helpful. (The labour ward was particularly quiet that morning). It was very reassurring to know where I was going when I did go into labour.

I'll never forget how huge the head looks coming out, it was like 'god there's more!'. Good to prepare the OH for the real thing I think if he's not planning on a 1950's pacing the corridor approach.

I went to classes run over 2 days (during the day) by the hospital so they were free. While I learned all i thought I needed to know in books there is other stuff that I found really helpful. For example the showed you all the equipment involved for an epidural (including a huge needle the size of the inside of a biro) I found it helpful to see that beforehand rather than in the throws of labour. Also we got to practice using the gas and air masks and they showed us any equipment that could be used in delivery. We also found out what they have/don't have in the hospital and therefore what you need and dont need to bring. They also played out the scene of the labour ward for partners including anything they would be expected to do and my OH found this really helpful. Also got a good idea of the interventions used in the hospital and at what stage they would be offered so that there would be no surprises. Personally I found the level of detail they went into was great and really put me at ease because I feel informed about my particular hospital and its policies. For example I know if there is a need for an emergency section that I will need to be taken in the lift to the floor below to the operating theatre - no surprises now if in the middle of everything (while possibly drugged up) they start wheeling me somewhere.

How do you know that you already know everything if you don't attend? I've only been to one class, I would have read up a fair bit beforehand, but it was still good to go to the hospital and meet them and get that extra little smidgeen of information here and there.
We did have it communicated to us *very strongly* how important it is to mind yourself and also the situations where we should immediately come into A&E. I thought this was important to hear from the people who will be delivering your baby.

I went to classes run over 2 days (during the day) by the hospital so they were free. While I learned all i thought I needed to know in books there is other stuff that I found really helpful. For example the showed you all the equipment involved for an epidural (including a huge needle the size of the inside of a biro) I found it helpful to see that beforehand rather than in the throws of labour. Also we got to practice using the gas and air masks and they showed us any equipment that could be used in delivery. We also found out what they have/don't have in the hospital and therefore what you need and dont need to bring. They also played out the scene of the labour ward for partners including anything they would be expected to do and my OH found this really helpful. Also got a good idea of the interventions used in the hospital and at what stage they would be offered so that there would be no surprises. Personally I found the level of detail they went into was great and really put me at ease because I feel informed about my particular hospital and its policies. For example I know if there is a need for an emergency section that I will need to be taken in the lift to the floor below to the operating theatre - no surprises now if in the middle of everything (while possibly drugged up) they start wheeling me somewhere.

That sounds great.. i am thinkin of starting a family this year and would be a very nervous first time mum... which hospital was it you went to??

I'm attending Portlaoise still waiting on the baby to make an appearance... they don't teach you how to make that happen.

Thanks to all you for your input. Mrs DK99 was given a recommendation and the class is booked. As a father to be i prefer the idea of a class so ast least i can ask some questions and a saturday class is the most convenient. Dont wont to get in trouble by posting teh details of the class but if anyone is interested PM me. The class is in Clane, co kildare.

Back