Answer To Question On Brain Of Britain, BBC R4

Bluebells

Sometimes, at night, in the car, I can get BBC Radio 4. It comes and goes - bridges and towns play hell with the reception, but I generally get the gist of most it.

Tonight, on The Brain Of Britain, there was a question, "What is the name given to a period of time shorter than an Aeon, and longer than an Era?'
However, the reception went awry for the vital few seconds when the answer was given.

Now, I probably should have more important things to occupy my mind, but at the moment I'd really love to know what that might be. So, is there anybody out there who knows the answer, and who is so similarly unbothered by important things that they might post it? Thanks.

I'm not 100% sure but perhaps the word 'epoch' might answer the question ?

Isn't it in progressive subdivisions aeon, era, period, epoch and age with nothing in between aeon and era?

Bluebells, I just listened online to the replay of Brain of Britain on bbc.co.uk/radio4 (select 'Listen again') while having breakfast. Makes a change from listening to the Afternoon Play which I usually listen to on Sunday mornings! It's about 25 mins into the programme if you want to hear it again and the actual question was : Which is shorter than an era and longer than an epoch?
Answer: a period.

Thanks all.
Nolo77, as pleased as I am to have an answer, I'm as alarmed to discover that that along with my powers of recall, my research skills are in a bad bad way. I shouldn't be surprised if I find a thread titled "What kind of a dunce is Bluebells?" I just didn't think of listening to it online.

stir crazy, it would appear that not knowing the answer was only half of my problem. I didn't even know the question!!!

GeneralZod, thanks for that. I did have a rummage through my dictionary, for the various divisions of time, but I couldn't be sure of the chronology. I hadn't realised that Era, Period, Epoch and Age were distinct. I was dumb not to have listened back, but I'm sort of glad now that I asked here. I wouldn't have learned that much!

Wishing you all a Very Merry & Happy Christmas

Last edited:
Thanks all.
Nolo77, as pleased as I am to have an answer, I'm as alarmed to discover that that along with my powers of recall, my research skills are in a bad bad way. I shouldn't be surprised if I find a thread titled "What kind of a dunce is Bluebells?" I just didn't think of listening to it online.

stircrazy, it would appear that not knowing the answer was only half of my problem. I didn't even know the question!!!

generalzod, thanks for that. I did have a rummage through my dictionary, for the various divisions of time, but I couldn't be sure of the chronology. I hadn't realised that Era, Period, Epoch and Age were distinct. I was dumb not to have listened back, but I'm sort of glad now that I asked here. I wouldn't have learned that much!

Wishing you all a Very Merry & Happy Christmas

Back