Another VRT query. Bringing over 2nd car. Paid for 1st.

RMCF

I moved from NI to RoI about 6 years ago, and had to pay the VRT on my own car as it was off the road for about 3 months before I moved down and the rules said it had to be road worthy and on the road in NI for the previous 6 months to get it free.

Didn't mind too much as it wasn't a great sum of money as the car is very old and its value was low.

Now I am considering buying a secondhand car and can't stomach the prices of cars in RoI !! Is there any way I can get a 2nd car transferred over free considering I have never availed of this before?

If so I could then buy a NI car much cheaper.

What about buying an LPG car?

Is there any reduction in VRT for this compared to petrol/diesel, considering they are meant to be slightly better for the environment.

you need and address in n.ire or u.k and proof of residence i.e recent utility bill(your name on it) etc..to be exempt,to be sure check out [broken link removed] .ie

you need and address in n.ire or u.k and proof of residence i.e recent utility bill(your name on it) etc..to be exempt,to be sure check out [broken link removed] .ie

Yeah you see thats why I thought there might have been a loophole I could have sneaked through, because I would still get correspondence to my old address - my parents still live there. I would not have utility bills but would have stuff like bank account statements, credit cards bills, life assurance, pension statements etc.

Problem is I am already on their systems from way back when I first paid to take my car over, so they would know that I am not just moving down to RoI now.

Damn.

Back