Anger management therapy

redbhoy

Hi,

Ive a friend who needs to see someone in regard to his temper and outbursts of anger. His behaviour is a recent phenomenon (after the death of two close relatives).
Would anyone be able to suggest a person or organisation who could be of help to him please?
Ive tried googling but to no avail.

Thanks

MOVE in Newbridge run Anger Managment Courses. Their number is: 045 446350. I'm sure they'd give you the number to somewhere more local to your friend if necessary.

I wonder if in fact Bereavement Counselling would be more helpful. I say this because your friend didn't seem to have an anger management problem until the death of the two close relatives. Bereavement can have strange effects. You should find Bereavement Counsellors in the Yellow Pages. If not, post again, and I'll have a look for you. I do think counselling is worth considering at this stage, as bereavement (rather than anger) is probably the underlying cause.

Also, it's not clear from your post if your friend considers he needs this help - this will be fairly vital if he is to gain much from any therapy. You could contact the Dundrum Counselling & Therapy Centre on 296 2115 for advice on whether therapy for the bereavment is more suitable than an anger management course or details of anger management courses if that's what's needed. The therapist I see works from there and they are generally a fantastic bunch in my experience. It's only a small place and it's possible they won't answer the phone directly but if you leave a number they will get back to you fairly quickly.

I suggeste dit and he said that he reckons he needs it too. Talking to him is like getting blood out of a stone though. He said that he pursued courses before but never followed it through. I'll pass on the info regarding the bereavement counselling.

Thanks again.

he might want to look up evidence based anger management - some talking therapies will just reinforce the anger.
Try [broken link removed]

and check out the qualifications and credentials of any counsellors. There's no statutory registration system, so you can just decide to give up your job as a chef, call yourself the Institute for Psychological and Counselling Therapies, award yourself a diploma that morning and open up for business in the afternoon.

Check out the Psychological Society of Ireland www.psihq.ie
The Irish Council for Psychotherapy
Irish Association of Counselling and Therapy
for registered members, should be some protection.

Hi

Have a friend too who is seeing the "red mist" a little too often and admits himself that he needs help. Can anyone recommend a good counsellor or an anger management course?

Regards
Red

A good CBT therapist might be able to help. Or even start with some of the online or book based self help resources listed on that page.

BABCP and have lists of qualified CBT people, both in the HSE (free) and private practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice.

Really think it is time to call in the professionals to give some direction. Didn't realise it would be so hard to find someone/course.
Will have a look at those websites.
Hard to know what one should be asking though

If your friend is good at applying himself to self directed study then have him check out some of the online course material linked from the Wikipedia page. Or get him a copy of http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0452261740/qid=909121522/sr=1-2/002-7876627-8574805/feelinggoodcom (The Feeling Good Handbook) which is one of the most popular and accessible self help CBT books around. The late Peter McWilliams' is also another useful more or less CBT orientated book available for free on his website but his writing style might not be to everybody's taste (I like it though and the many quotes are entertaining in themselves).

Thanks for the advice.

Really think it is time to call in the professionals to give some direction. Didn't realise it would be so hard to find someone/course.
Will have a look at those websites.
Hard to know what one should be asking though

Your friend needs to take this up with his General Practitioner who can refer him for counselling or another appropriate form of therapy.

My comments were well intentioned above but I agree that your friend should really contact a health professional, possibly his GP, first.

I did mention going to his GP for a referral ,but he is nervous of it going on his medical records vis-a-vie life assurance etc

There are lots of voluntary and private organisations offering counselling/psychotherapy/ CBT/DBT (different therapeutic appraocahes to dealing with difficulties) etc; so it depends where you live. I can highly recommend Living Life Counselling in Bray and Dun Laoghaire, however they target people on a lower wage who cannot afford the usual private practitioners and charge on a sliding scale of what you can afford. They are highly skilled and professional, and could perhaps recommend a similar service in your area. As previously stated, you have to check out credentials, as there are some cranks out to earn money with no proper training.

Sorry I forget to say, the usual procedure is to go along for initial assessment to say Living Life for example, and discuss the problem with a counsellor. After this session, the counsellor is usually in a position to suggest the best way forward, and the best type of programme. So what you initially felt was the problem, ie bereavement, may only be one of a number of contributory factors.

Thank you all
At least I have some starting points.

Do you know who Living Life Counselling are accredited to ??

General Practitioner first is my professional advice (I am a mental health professional working with these issues!) Any physical causes for your friend's outbursts need to be eliminated before moving into the psychological realm.

Back