And this is house number 4 falling through for us

Cati76

Well,

As some of you may be aware, i have been trying to get into the property ladder for quite some time now (almost a year i'd say).
This is the 4 time that we don't complete the deal, even though everything was in place, mortgage, life insurance, home insurance, contracts signed by us...etc etc.....
Does this happen to many of you? beeing so unlucky with the people you were buying from?
I have no more hopes about getting a house for the prize I would like to spend......is there anything I can do to avoid this happening again?

nt00deep,

This is what i post the last time it happened
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=26827
If you search all my posts, you'll be able to see, but i will briefly tell you:
House number one, they were buying site, after 3 months waiting on contracts and deeds, they pulled out because site fell through
House number two, problems with land registration, all details here:
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=21501

And finally house number four, we signed 2 weeks ago, our solicitor called their solicitor on monday, and they were waiting for them to sign either monday or tuesday, and yesterday evening we got the call from the auctioneer, they are pulling because the vendor's brother is after being diagnosed with cancer in England, and he is coming back and going to live in that house!

phoenix_n, that was our original idea, but i can't afford paying the mortgage and the rent while the house is being build (in cork most builders ask for stage payments!)
Any other suggestions? I am desperate, heartbroken, and complety pissed off with the irish system....If people agree to sell, they law should force them to sell......that's they way it is in other countries!

I am on the other side in Cork with time wasters agreeing to buy my house and then pulling out after wasting my time.

The system works against sellers as well as buyers as a buyer can agree to buy your house, pay a deposit and then delay you wnd not sign the contracts and you waste all that time and are back to square one.

No advertising of houses or wanted ads please.

Any ranting to be done-Letting Off Steam is the place.

Understood Ccovich.
I just want to know if anyone had been in a similar situation, and how did it resolve. I am getting desperate. I have many plans on hols till we get a house, and I don't know what else to do....
I have to admit that this forum had already given me a lot of help, and I am hoping to get more to get out of this nightmare that we are living!
Thanks.

Cati76 said:
phoenix_n, that was our original idea, but i can't afford paying the mortgage and the rent while the house is being build (in cork most builders ask for stage payments!)

I've always been bemused at why this is specifically a Cork phenomenon and never occured in Dublin. One would suspect that in a sellers market it would have spread to Dublin.

At the same time its an utterly unfair system that effectively ties in buyers long before their house is finished and makes it impossible for many people to get on the ladder at all by the need to both rent and mortgage.

I do agree however, that the entire process for buying does leave both buyers and sellers open to time-wasters - and probably lays open the ground for gazumping (is it as common as it used to be in Dublin?)

I must say though, that to a large extent, not having a house isn't the end of the world. If affordability is going to be an issue for you its better to come to terms with it now/change career, or move back in with Mum and Dad. It certainly does seem that the steps of the ladder are being pulled right up very rapidly for 20/30-somethings right now. I have absolutely no chance of buying a house over the next 4 years, and after that it will depend on how my circumstances are.

Not having a house is of course not the end of the world. As my mom was telling me last night, at least you have a place to live, a job, and health.
I like the apartment we live in at the moment. But i would like to build a future with my partner, have a family, etc etc...and would like to do it in my own house, paying my own mortgage (which I can afford to pay, otherwise I wouldn't go that route)....
Moving back to mom and dad is not an option (i am not from Ireland, but my partner is) and I will be entering in the 30's club soon (in a couple of weeks) so it's not something i would like to do either.
The issue here is that people have been wasting our time (and money for that matters) and that under the current legislation they can keep doing it...

I am more a reader than a poster, but just wanted to say keep looking. We too, were sale agreed 3 times, its very difficult to explain how hard it is not to get your hopes up each time, especially when you get so far . This time , the 4th , we have signed the contracts and I have not even seen the house as I still can't believe it, legal and binding my two new favourite words. Lets hope , that the introduction of the pack sellers have to produce in the UK, including surveyors report etc is introduced here.The only suggestion I would have is if there is anyway, you could stay with someone, to try to get your stage payments together, maybe a friend you could pay a minimal amount to, I know it would be uncomfortable not having your own place, but it may be worth it . Good luck.

I saw that Kirsty Allsop from one of those UK property programmes saying she would be protesting against those seller packs, she says the sellers will just pass on the cost of these to the buyers. Don't know much about them though (and will probably be pounced on for going off the point of the current thread)...

I think it is connected to the topic because each time a sale falls through, there are costs to the seller i.e. the surveyors report, valuers report. I understood from what I read that these items would be in the buyers pack. Even if you do end up paying at least you will save time by seeing the reports straight away.
Sorry if this is off topic.

Back