Anatomy of a Revolut scam

Imagine that: Just got an unathorised payment, in the last few minutes, on my card for €3 (in Dublin - I'm not in Dublin)... just on revolut chat at the moment...

Almost 1.5 hours on app chat and I've been asked who did I give my card details to, was it family / friends ? Can I please check with them if they made this payment. Needless to say, I did not and the card is here next to me...

Last edited:
@TLO - Yip, did that first, as soon as the money was gone from my account, that was done straight away. Then I moved the balance in the account into a vault (as mentioned by @Firefly earlier in the thread)

So anyway, after 2 hours, money was refunded ( was told it would take 24hrs to be evaluated & a decision made). Card is no good, so had to order a new card and that money was also refunded to me. I did get the feeling I was at fault by the language used, questions posed to me and also the same question asked a number of different ways. Mentioned that to the support-person, and there was an apology, not what was meant etc - I do think they are just following process / procedures and everyone gets these questions / responses...

So anyway - keep an eye on things !!

One lesson for me (in the context of the Irish Times article) is to freeze your card(s) before doing anything else.

I use both Revolut and N26 (free accounts in both cases) and N26 is light years ahead in terms of chat responsiveness and competence.
That's not entirely correct, N26 has absolutely appalling chat. The staff often do not answer queries directly and one has to repeat the question. I find N26 quite difficult to deal with. Having said that their app is excellent.

Most banks do not offer this so you would have to have multiple accounts.

I don't think they do. I'm sure it would be very popular

the mainstream banks offer free savings/deposit accounts AFAIK if you already have your current account with them, so you could keep your money there and move it across as necessary.

on a side note, I have both Revolut and N26 - I transferred some money from one to the other and it appeared in the receiving account immediately thanks to SEPA Instant. Why don't the Irish banks support this?! I see AIB have recently removed their budgeting tool - it wasn't amazing but it was the sort of feature the online banks sell themselves on. The Irish banks rely entirely on customer inertia, they're not interested in innovating in any way.

Back