Anarchy at Dublin Airport!

delgirl

It's peak season at Dublin Airport in July and August - everyone knows it, so why oh why didn't anyone tell the Garda Immigration services???

Last night on our return from holiday we witnessed near anarchy as more than 10 flights arrived simultaneously only to be met by 2 Garda Immigration officers - one checking the passports of non-EU nationals, who made up about half a percent of those travelling - and the other checking the EU, mainly Irish returning home, passports.

The queues extended way back to the arrival gates and we were packed in like sardines in a narrow corridor leading up to the immigration desks.

After waiting about half an hour with very little movement, frustration took hold and people began calling out from the back telling them to get a move on as the queue was getting longer. The Immigration Officers, recognising that passengers were becoming restless, called for assistance and two guards arrived which caused the situation to worsen as those waiting became even more vocal.

A few people then squeezed past the queue, straight past the other unmanned immigration desks and towards the baggage area. The immigration officer who was dealing with the non-EU passports quickly left her booth and apprehended them and an argument ensued. Their documents were checked and they were allowed to proceed.

Then some enterprising person reversed a travellator, originally running in the direction of the departure gates, on the other side of the partition wall forming the corridor where we were queuing so that people at the rear of the queue could get on it and totally bypass the immigration desks. The guards ran around the other side and stopped them and the situation escalated once again with much shouting and scuffling.

It was absolute chaos, with people shouting and children crying so eventually the immigration officer in the EU booth stopped checking each individual passport, as he's probably required to do, and allowed us all to proceed through just holding our passports open at the photo page.

The issue of Health and Safety was raised by a number of passengers with hundreds of people and small children crammed into a corridor with ever more people joining the queue behind and jostling to see what the hold up was at the front.

The level of disorganisation of the in this case was astounding and the risk to the wellbeing of the passengers was totally unacceptable. Hopefully some of those affected by the inept service will send written complaints to the GNIB.

[broken link removed]

Quote from above link - A spokeswoman for the Dublin Airport Authority said urgent discussions were taking place between airport managers and An Garda Siochana to rectify the delays at immigration.

Oh well, I guess public service speak for urgent discussions equates to no time soon.

I've waited over two hours at immigration gates in the US - and if anyone tried by-passing them they'd be shot dead.

Likewise in many Middle East states.

Not saying I agree with the delays - they're out of order - but get used to it folks - you like cheap travel, but Ryanair refuse to pay realistic airport charges.
This is where your landing fees used to go.

Cheap and cheerful, eh?

sorry Meccano: TAXPAYERS pay the garda not ryanair. likewise immigration officers. Ryanair are an airline point to point. nothing else and certainly not responsible for inefficient garda and immigration procedures. was talking to a friend of mine a few weeks ago back from Morocco. flight landed at 3am absolutely no customs or immigration offiicals met this plane, probably due to the time of arrival. but from Morocco? friend said that one ( at least) of the passengers had smuggled in a load of cigs on this particular flight as he boasted that he had done this on many occasions in the past and never got caught. Thankfully it was ciggies he was boasting about ( his exact boast apparantly was that he smuggled in 2,000 ciggies, kept 1,000 for personal use and sold the other 1,000 to fund the next holiday in guess where?) Dont agree with your assessment that Ryanair are the guilty party in the above fiasco. put the blame where it due, on the laps of our benchmarking seeking civil servants.

I was there last night as well. My problem with the situation was that the Gardai insisted on looking at every single EU passport that went through the queues.

I thought that it was enough these days to show the cover of your passport showing the harp or whatever to quickly go thought these checks?

ronan_d_john said:
I thought that it was enough these days to show the cover of your passport showing the harp or whatever to quickly go thought these checks?

If this was all that was needed, what would stop one EU citizen letting a non EU citizen borrow their passport to show the cover ?

ronan_d_john said:
Might be the case if Ireland was a full participant in the but since we're not even EU passports should be checked.

Meccano said:
I've waited over two hours at immigration gates in the US - and if anyone tried by-passing them they'd be shot dead.

Are you a US citizen? I think it's unlikely that a returning (home) US citizen would have a 2 hour delay. The issue here is the delay for EU (esp. Irish) citizens being delayed this length of time when they don't need the kind of immigration grilling you get in the US.
I know someone said it's not Ryanair but it does seem to particularly affect the terminal they mainly fly from (Terminal A which now shares immigration with the barn (Terminal D?) which requires a long-distance trek to get to and from). Immigration at Terminal B never seems terribly bad and most times you just saunter through with a flash of your picture page. I fly most weeks usually into B & C and the worst immigration queues are definitely at A and the new extension bit (which may be the straw that is breaking the camel's back).

cuchulainn said:
Dont agree with your assessment that Ryanair are the guilty party in the above fiasco. put the blame where it due, on the laps of our benchmarking seeking civil servants.
I don't see how it is the fault of the civil service. Nor is it the fault of Ryan Air. It is an issue between the Gardai and the management of Dublin Airport.

cuchulainn said:
Dont agree with your assessment that Ryanair are the guilty party in the above fiasco. put the blame where it due, on the laps of our benchmarking seeking civil servants.

what have civil servants and the queue at immigration in Dublin Airport got to do with each other?? Thats a very week arguement!

IMO Dublin Airport is a sub-standard airport and simply cannot cope with the amount of people who use it. Maybe Dublin needs a second airport (Baldonnel) to deal with budget airlines or short distance flights ??

The gardai involved are in the process of making a point - a work to rule of sorts, it'll go back to normal when they get their way. They're not concerned that this delays thousands of people - without that their point won't be made.

There was a story which I suspect is related to this in the Sunday Times - the gardai are alleged to be unhappy at working alone in a single kiosk, where previously there were two gardai. Not for safety or practicality but due to the boredom factor. The aim is to increase the number of kiosks, not to reduce the number of gardai.

Boredom is a real issue if you are sitting in a box for hours on end. Why could they not build kiosks that house two Gardai back to back so that they can pass the time between flights?
If their managers will not listen to a valid argument then they are entitled to take this sort of action, but only as a last resort.

ashambles said:
The gardai are alleged to be unhappy at working alone in a single kiosk, where previously there were two gardai. Not for safety or practicality but due to the boredom factor.
Well I never! It wouldn't have crossed my mind that this was their problem! ;) Sounds very schoolyardish to me - hardly professional.

delgirl said:
It's peak season at Dublin Airport in July and August - everyone knows it, so why oh why didn't anyone tell the Garda Immigration services???

Last night on our return from holiday we witnessed near anarchy as more than 10 flights arrived simultaneously only to be met by 2 Garda Immigration officers - one checking the passports of non-EU nationals, who made up about half a percent of those travelling - and the other checking the EU, mainly Irish returning home, passports.

The queues extended way back to the arrival gates and we were packed in like sardines in a narrow corridor leading up to the immigration desks.

After waiting about half an hour with very little movement, frustration took hold and people began calling out from the back telling them to get a move on as the queue was getting longer. The Immigration Officers, recognising that passengers were becoming restless, called for assistance and two guards arrived which caused the situation to worsen as those waiting became even more vocal.

A few people then squeezed past the queue, straight past the other unmanned immigration desks and towards the baggage area. The immigration officer who was dealing with the non-EU passports quickly left her booth and apprehended them and an argument ensued. Their documents were checked and they were allowed to proceed.

Then some enterprising person reversed a travellator, originally running in the direction of the departure gates, on the other side of the partition wall forming the corridor where we were queuing so that people at the rear of the queue could get on it and totally bypass the immigration desks. The guards ran around the other side and stopped them and the situation escalated once again with much shouting and scuffling.

It was absolute chaos, with people shouting and children crying so eventually the immigration officer in the EU booth stopped checking each individual passport, as he's probably required to do, and allowed us all to proceed through just holding our passports open at the photo page.

The issue of Health and Safety was raised by a number of passengers with hundreds of people and small children crammed into a corridor with ever more people joining the queue behind and jostling to see what the hold up was at the front.

The level of disorganisation of the in this case was astounding and the risk to the wellbeing of the passengers was totally unacceptable. Hopefully some of those affected by the inept service will send written complaints to the GNIB.

This sounds like the exact same situation that I experienced back at the end of May. Complete farce. There were only 2 officials checking the passports of about 4 large flights. What a joke. The heat was intense and I nearly passed out. Not to mention the risk of someone getting trampled on, it was an extremly dangerous situation to be placed in.

thought that gardai and immimgration officials were civil servants. Must be mistaken.

Why should taxpayers pay for Immigration Services at DAP?
That means I'm subsidising people who go on flights!
They should stick a charge on the tickets to cover it.

Are you sure they don't already? I know there is a 'security charge' on most fares.

Anyhow - stop making me pay for YOUR holiday!

Meccano said:
Why should taxpayers pay for Immigration Services at DAP?
That means I'm subsidising people who go on flights!
They should stick a charge on the tickets to cover it.

Are you sure they don't already? I know there is a 'security charge' on most fares.

Anyhow - stop making me pay for YOUR holiday!

So your willing to take your chances then on anyone, and any number of people, who may try to enter the country illegally by not having any checks on entry to the country? A little irresponsible don't you think?

RonanC said:
IMO Dublin Airport is a sub-standard airport and simply cannot cope with the amount of people who use it. Maybe Dublin needs a second airport (Baldonnel) to deal with budget airlines or short distance flights ??
Big time. Dublin needs a second competing airport. Better still build a competing airport in the midlands. Or link Shannon/Cork airports to the rail network. That would help solve some of the congestion. Shannon is an underused airport with great facilities. Personally I avoid Dublin airport as much as I can. There should be no reason for anyone living in the midlands or west to have to go to Dublin airport at all.

Back