An Post to increase prices of Stamps (May 2021)

odyssey06

The price of a postage stamp for a standard letter is to increase by 10 cent to €1.10 from the end of this month.
The price hikes - which will also see an increase in the standard international letter price to €2.00 from €1.70 - come into effect on May 27.

All existing national 'N' rate stamps would automatically represent €1.10 postage from that date, while Worldwide ‘W’ stamps would cover the €2.00 international letter rate.

Is the price of a stamp even remotely relevant to the average family anymore?
I'd say I buy 15 stamps a year, including Christmas cards.
Yeah with me it's mostly christmas cards and actually those christmas stamp books you get are 'N' marked so they are still good.
Just occasionally I need to post some documentation as not everywhere has freepost.

It's more that you might need to post something out of the blue, and you dig out a €1 stamp that's been sitting there and don't realise the price has gone up. Which is why I thought I'd mention it on the thread.

Just went out an bought 2 books of stamps last week :( Now I have to go buy some 10c stamps to go with them

That's the trick for anyone buying stamps from now on - insist on getting stamps with the "N" on them.

Granted, its primarily a convenience thing, rather than a significant saving.

Did you double check are they €1 or N? Sometimes the books of stamps have them as 'N' for National.
€1. That's what I asked for. I checked the prices before going to the Post Office. Only a mild inconvenience. I'm planning on having them for ages since most forms can be signed by docusign these days.

€1. That's what I asked for. I checked the prices before going to the Post Office. Only a mild inconvenience. I'm planning on having them for ages since most forms can be signed by docusign these days.
That's a pity. Next time maybe order these so you won't get caught out by future price rises:
[broken link removed]

That is so confusing. I didn't realise that they didn't go up last year. I assumed the N stamp was worth 1.10 and the W was worth 1.80 - as announced last year. I sent a packet to Germany last weekend with a combination of N, W, and miscellaneous stamp values. I probably didn't put enough on ....

I have a small stock of different value stamps (from pre N). Mainly for convenience. Then I use the online postage charge calculator and a baking weighing scales to figure out the cost to post. It saves me a few trips to the post office each year.

Last time I topped up my stock with the N ones - in hindsight that was the easiest ten percent I ever made. And it was tax free!

Probably not. I buy 20 or 30 a year.

It's a material cost for businesses though.

Do businesses get a discount, if they use a franking machine?

If so, then that's probably the way for most businesses to go, if they have heavier volumes of post. In fact, for the convenience alone, it might seek make sense (subject to costs).

Didn't some guy buy up big bags of stamps from charities and then sell of the unused ones?

I think it got to court.

Brendan

Didn't some guy buy up big bags of stamps from charities and then sell of the unused ones?

I think it got to court.

Brendan
Interesting, I couldn't find the court case when I googled it but it is a thing.

Apparently there is a whole black market in used stamps which charities were inadvertently facilitating... I notice Barnardos still accept donations of used stamps.
[broken link removed]

A number of charities collect used stamps as a means of fundraising. Although we do not believe that charities are knowingly profiting from the collection and sale of used stamps, some are inadvertently enabling this form of fraud by selling packages of used stamps, commonly referred to as ‘kiloware’. The majority of these stamps are then prepared and fraudulently re-sold as if they were valid postage. The money being made by criminal gangs from this type of fraud is significant, and can be used to fund further and wider scale criminal activity.
Fundraisers may believe they are selling stamps to collectors but this is rarely the case as these stamps have little collectable value.

Pay for stamps? I get stamps free on incoming envelopes.
Soak in hot water, dry between two planks of timber, then borrow the kids’ PrittStick.
I just get one in work. I don't know if I've ever bought a Stamp.

I don't send Christmas cards for environmental reasons (okay, it's because I'm lazy and couldn't be bothered) so maybe once a year I have to post something.

Back