An Post Launch Current Account Product

This is interesting. On what basis did they have your contact details?

I can't remember for certain but think it was addressed to 'the resident' but they have my details
as I use their AddressPal service, and also have a savings cert.

This is interesting. On what basis did they have your contact details?

Like your thinking ;)

Isn't there something in the rule book (Consumer Protection Code, I think ?) about not being able to contact people with out their explicit consent, or without having a related product already with them and having spoken with them on the matter within the last 12 months etc ?

Like your thinking ;)

Isn't there something in the rule book (Consumer Protection Code, I think ?) about not being able to contact people with out their explicit consent, or without having a related product already with them and having spoken with them on the matter within the last 12 months etc ?

As far as I know, CPC only covers telephone contact. However, direct marketing by post is covered by data protection. It's down to processing data for a purpose other than which it was originally collected.
For example I'm a customer (insurance) but I haven't received the same advert, which might suggest personal data was used to create a subset for a mail shot. It'd be interesting to see who else received such a letter.

Sorry, you are quite right - it's Data Protection not CPC (afraid it's been a few years since I had reason to look at either in detail) :)

I was shocked .foolish enough to sign up.chsrging 50 cent to lodge money on top of the monthly fee is a rip off.i will be closing it asap.

I never said the best - but FREE and you can always get Revolut and link that to have a nice app. EBS don't do a cheque book or overdraft - many could live with that and no contactless card - many want this or again just use Revolut which is contactless.

You could do all that.

Alternatively, you could get a free current account with KBC, with the KBC Extra Current account product, provided you deposit at least 2,500 EUR per month and get a get a good app, good online banking, Android Pay and Apple Pay.

Mobile payment usage is soaring in many countries. If EBS continue to stay in the dark ages with crap online banking, no app and no mobile payment support it is increasingly difficult to see how EBS can be recommended to most people.

Saw a tv advert earlier tonight for this product - very botched launch and far too expensive.

It's the post office launching a bank account, can't be too surprised they haven't set the world on fire :)

... they don't have the in-house expertise, those that were hired in were probably hired by those without relevant expertise etc.

An Post had launch today in G.P.O. with FM104.
Are you sure that shouldn't read "An Post had lunch today in G.P.O. with FM104." I'd have been just as excited. Historically they've been great at lunches and product launches, very poor at maintaining momentum, going forward and that other longevity stuff.

I was with Post Bank when they closed down, how do we know if the same happens when the going gets tough?

I was with Post Bank when they closed down, how do we know if the same happens when the going gets tough?

To be fair, I think that was caused by their joint venture partner pulling the plug last time around... this time, An Post are going it alone (be that good, or bad !)

Back