An Post Credit Card

discovery101

Hi there.....anyone got any experience with An Post Credit Card??? Typical APR is over 22% i was told, but on bonkers its 15.7%

Thank you.

Credit card interest rates should be irrelevant.
Just clear your bill each month before interest accrues.
If you can't do that then don't use a credit card for the purposes of borrowing.
They should only be used as a cashflow management tool.

Absolutely agree. Anyone who doesn't pay off their credit card bill in full every month shouldn't have one in the first place as they can't manage money and credit.

'Tis basic stuff really.

Credit card interest rates should be irrelevant.
Just to caveat my own comment - that's obviously not the case where somebody is transferring an outstanding balance to a 0% (for some period) card in order to avoid interest charges ideally while clearing the balance over the 0% period. But, again, the accumulation of such a credit card balance in the first place is usually a symptom of financial imprudence/bad habits that should also be tackled.

I got the Flex card for the 9 months interest free. Will buy appliances for the new kitchen and pay it off within that time.

I got the Flex card for the 9 months interest free. Will buy appliances for the new kitchen and pay it off within that time.
Be careful.
Sometimes 0% time limited offers are only for balance transfers and any other use will incur interest charges as normal if not cleared within the month (and may also nullify the 0% balance transfer offer too!).

Be careful.
Sometimes 0% time limited offers are only for balance transfers and any other use will incur interest charges as normal if not cleared within the month (and may also nullify the 0% balance transfer offer too!).
The specific product the poster mentioned, Flex, is 0% on purchases for 9 months.

Their other card, Classic, is 0% on balance transfers, and your warning is correct in relation to that product.

What would be a typical upper limit that one can transfer to avail of these 9 month 0% interest deals? Say , hypothetically I had my existing card maxed out at €12,000 ( thankfully I don't). I presume there is a limit to what you can transfer ?
Also , just noticed that the Flex card is an Avant card under the An Post wrapper. Presumably existing Avant customers can avail of this offer ? I wouldn't hold out much hope on that one ,now !!

Last edited:
I presume there is a limit to what you can transfer ?
It's based on whatever credit limit they offer you.
With Avant for example, you can transfer up to 95% of your limit (to be clear, this isn't a credit card balance transfer, but the ability to transfer money to your bank account).

But there are lots of catches with these, so you need to be very careful with your management of them.

We used a credit ransfer to fund part of a car purchase. We had to scrap our car ahead of when we had planned/ saved for the replacement. It did involve careful management of the repayments though and if we used the card for new purchases interest would accrue on the whole balance so it meant we couldn't use it apart from as an interest free loan.

Be careful.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. It's 9 months interest free on purchases. Think balance transfer offer was on the classic card.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. It's 9 months interest free on purchases. Think balance transfer offer was on the classic card.
If you're already wit Avant can you apply and get a Flex or Classic card with An Post ( effectively the same provider)?

If you're already wit Avant can you apply and get a Flex or Classic card with An Post ( effectively the same provider)?
I'm not sure. I applied to An Post as they had the 9 months interest free purchasing. Avant didn't offer that.

You could try it.

Back