Amsterdam for a few days - never been before

Caveat

Hi all

Did a search but surprisingly, didn't find much info less then 4 years old.

Have accomodation sorted - anyone any recommendations on what to see or do? or where to avoid?

Never been, so everything considered - but bear in mind we only have 3 days.

Cheers

The Anne Frank house, very weird feeling to be in there having read her diary as a teenager.

Haven't been in years but all the little pubs around the place were great! It was also very picturesque at night as all the bridges were lit up.

Its a very nice town to walk around.
Loads of great art galleries to go to. The Heineken brewery is well worth a visit too.

There are also the 'attractions' that Amsterdam is more famous for.

The red light district -very surreal. Almost an apocalyptic feeling about the place.
If you like spamspamspam, that's good, but I'd only recommend it if everyone in your party has some. The tea's horrible.
There's also a toothbrush shop.

Thanks so far

The Anne Frank house

yep - kind of a 'must' really.

Its a very nice town to walk around.

So I've heard - and pretty compact too?

The red light district -very surreal. Almost an apocalyptic feeling about the place.

How safe is it in your experience? I've heard conflicting reports ranging from "absolutely fine" to "don't go anywhere near it"

If you like spamspamspam

Well, has to be done really hasn't it?

There's also a toothbrush shop.

Er...ok

How safe is it in your experience? I've heard conflicting reports ranging from "absolutely fine" to "don't go anywhere near it"
Well, like anywhere, you'll have to keep your wits about you (avoid dark alleyways etc). When we visited, it was like a procession of tourists going around and around.

Van Gogh Museum, Reichsmuseum (if it's re-opened) both must-sees. There's also the museum of erotica on the main drag from the train station to Dam Square - but you'll have to tell us if you go:-0 Get the train from Schipol and don't even think about a taxi - train is v convenient.

Amsterdam is really great and is mis-represented by all the stag parties etc. The food's great, drink is cheap, shopping is great and the Dutch are nice - have a great time!

Sprite

Hi Caveat

I'll leave others to recommend the cultural experiences, whilst I PM you the names of my favourite coffeeshops ;)

Red light district is fine if you stick to the main thoroughfares, its bursting with tourists. Use the same precautions as you would in any city, some dark alleyways contain crack smokers, stay away.
Avoid looking too like a tourist, I was there with a friend for 2 weeks, for the first 5 days we were constantly harrassed by people trying to sell us hard drugs, a kind of sing song in your ear as they pass 'escasty, heroin, cocaine, you want....', and then when it stopped we realised we had also stopped walking around with our jaws on the ground looking at things in awe.

Heinekin beer tour is great fun also, make sure youre in the first group in to avail of most beer!!

There's a shuttle bus which goes from Schipol Airport to most hotels (hotelconnexxion, I think it's called), costs €21 return and you'll be brought to your hotel door. Very convenient!

If you're a footie fan, take a trip to see the Amsterdam ArenA (yep, that's how it's spelt!), where Ajax play. How a stadium (and surrounding area) should be built!

Amsterdam zoo is worth a visit too if you're into that kind of thing.
I was there in Feb and the Heineken brewery tour was closed :(
Would second the Anne Frank House visit, and the Rijksmuseum too.

(PS - wouldn't bother with the museum of erotica on the Damrak unless you've seen everything else.....;))

Amsterdam is full of great thai and other ethnic restaurants.
Food is generally good value and the portions are huge.
The beer is, of course, good but not particularly cheap.

The red light district is not dangerous, but sleazy and really quite dull. Watching drunk slag parties making faces at prostitutes is not my idea of fun.

The drug dealers are everywhere, but mostly very polite and easy to ignore.
its a very safe city once you are not stupid about basic precautions to watch
your personal belongings.

You can see main tourist sights by boat, travelling along the canals. You can hop on and off when you like. (It stops at Anne Frank museum). Nice and relaxing when you're feeling a bit wrecked from a night on the town!

Thanks again all

Fleur - yes, someone mentioned that to me today actually.

Plenty of ideas anyway!

I did a *Free walking tour
We had a cool guy bring us around for about 3 hours.
Saw alot of the city in that time with a break for food.
It starts across the road from the main train station - cant remember the time - I think about 10am
if your staying in a hostel they'll have info on it for sure - if not just ask around

*i tipped him of course ;) but there is no pressure if ur on a budget

If you're going with Mrs Caveat, then take a nighttime canal boat tour, nice & romantic..

Back