American Fridge Freezers

callaghanj

I have included an american fridge freezer in my kitchen plan but not sure if they are as good as they are made out to be.....anyone got any pesonal experience of them.Other option is a retro SMEG fridge...any opions greatly appreciated. Thanks

we have an American Fridge Freezer around a year now..seems to be running fine..great space in them but only 2 of us at moment..handy to have the water + ice maker,but probably costs bit more on elecky billy..you can turn off the ice maker though if you want,some other handy functions like 'Vaction settings' etc..Personally I tihnk they look well also. Any questions on them let me know?

we have one over 3 years now. Going fine. there are 4 of us, fridge space is adequate but the freezer part is deceivingly small - does us but just about! MrBell does use alot of swear words when changing the water filter though :eek: Looks nice too.

I have an LG American-style fridge freezer, and I love it. Mine doesn't have the water/ice facility (I didn't particularly want it, as it takes up a lot of space in the freezer section). My favourite feature is having frozen food at eye level, rather than having to rummage for everything in drawers at the bottom of a standard fridge freezer. (Okay, there are drawers at the bottom of my freezer section, but there are also shelves all the way up!)

Do SMEG fridges have a proper freezer section? Or do they just have a small icebox at the top? They look lovely, but you would really need to decide how important the freezer space is to you.

i am going for two separate side by side units instead (Whirlpool), tall larder fridge and tall freezer (about £400 each), seems to much more space. also going to put a chest freezer in the garage to store all the shopping from once a month shop in Asda.

I'm replacing my kitchen and love the look of American style fridge freezers but I'll be replacing a large upright freezer and the freezer part simply isn't big enough for my needs. I'm thinking of getting integrated matching upright fridge and separate freezer and wonder if anyone has any recommendations. I'm also thinking of replacing my separate washing machine and dryer with an integrated washer/dryer but wonder whether the drying capacity will be big enough, I only use the dryer for towels and underwear but wonder whether the dryer would take a full load of towels, any suggestions welcomed.

I'm also thinking of replacing my separate washing machine and dryer with an integrated washer/dryer but wonder whether the drying capacity will be big enough, I only use the dryer for towels and underwear but wonder whether the dryer would take a full load of towels, any suggestions welcomed.

I have a Hotpoint washer/dryer, the greatest waste of space together with the rest of the Hotpoint appliances I have which are slowly grinding to a halt one by one after 5years. When the washer/dryer goes I will def. be going for separate ones, I find I have to leave the drying until the day after I've done the wash because if not the clothes tend to have a damp smell irrespective of how long I have the drier going, suppose if you think about it the drum is still damp after the wash so the heat needs to dry this out before it can start drying the clothes. Having said that my mother has a Zanussi washer/dryer for over 12years and sings it's praises, it's probably about getting the right brand.

Oh and would love an American Fridge, will consider it when my Hotpoint Fridge Freezer packs in which should be any day now.

I'll 2nd cashstrapped on the washer/dryers.....would be a great space saver if they actually worked properly. They have bad reps for breaking down and not drying your clothes properly.

And i'm sooooo jealous of everyone that has an American fridge freezer, i've wanted one for years but never had the space. Now that i do have the space i dont have the money...... you can never win can you!!

We've an LG 4-5 years now. I love it. Plenty of room for us (2) and I love the lay out & Mr. Juke uses the ice/water all the time.

However, whether it's just ours - I would question the uniformity of termperature. The manual says to expect "ice particles" - but meat randomly freezes through when it's stored in the meat drawer of the fridge (bottom). Not great when you get home from work to prepare dinner and your chops etc are rock solid.

The fridge is definately much colder at the bottom - I got a thermometer to check.

I got a Smeg dishwasher and the thing has given me more bother than any other item in the kitchen....come into the kitchen to a flood on more than one occasion. I've only just noticed as well that there seems to have been a minor leak over a long period of time cos the wooden running board under it is rotting.

Also have a smeg cooker - elec oven and gas hob - an all-n-one jobbie and while that works fine, I rubbed off the settings on the knobs with cleaning detergent which is annoying. Dont think Id go Smeg again to be honest

I have an American side-by-side fridge freezer and am very happy with it. Like Celtwytch I don't have the ice/water dispenser which means there is more storage space in the freezer part. However, whenever it needs replacing I will probably do what Mosstown is doing and get a full size fridge and a separate full size freezer.

OP, are you going to have your fridge freestanding? When I was getting my kitchen done it was suggested that I have a housing built around the fridge freezer but I didn't go for this as it meant if I changed the fridge I would have to go for one exactly the same size.

I found with the American style fridge freezer that the freezer side was too narrow to fit things like pizzas unless you stood the boxes up and moved a few shelves around!

I am in the market for a new fridge freezer and when I was looking at the american style ones a sales lady told me that a lot of people buy a chest freezer as well to compensate for the small freezer. I don't have space for both though.

We had one but got rid of it. The cost of spare parts is horrendous. The shelves will continue to break and cost a fortune to replace and that is with the glass being intact. The ice maker and the main motot broke down leaving e verything in the fridge and freezer to rot. Have you thought of another option -- try a Miele Fridge and freezer separates, better products or Bosch. Anything but the Yankee options.

Thanks all for comments about washer/dryers, I had heard that they were more prone to breakdown than washing machines, but didn't know anything about how they performed. I'll go back to the drawing board and make room somehow for a separate dryer. By the way I have an AEG washing machine and I'd recommend it wholeheartedly, it cost over the odds when I bought it and I wondered whether it was worth the difference in price but I was totally fed up of replacing machines every three years (planned obsolecence) and I wanted the best energy rated machine I could find, it's now being going strong for 7 years and really does the job.

However, whether it's just ours - I would question the uniformity of termperature. The manual says to expect "ice particles" - but meat randomly freezes through when it's stored in the meat drawer of the fridge (bottom). Not great when you get home from work to prepare dinner and your chops etc are rock solid.

The fridge is definately much colder at the bottom - I got a thermometer to check.

I've noticed that too! It seems to happen mostly when the meat has been in that drawer for a couple of days. I tend to move whatever meat I'm planning to cook that night out of the drawer to give it time to thaw.

I heard that Smeg have just introduced a full-sized freezer to match their retro-style fridge. If you have the space, you could have plenty of both fridge and freezer space encased in that distinctive Smeg style :p

Our Whirlpool american FF just gave up the ghost after 5 1/2 years. It was pricey when we bought it and I would have expected a bit more mileage out of it. 6 of us in the house so it gets alot of use and the kids are at the water/ice maker consistently.

Will replace it with another American FF as it is now part of the kitchen design - its a big space to fill - Better dust off the c card.

Back