American Express Application

LeinsterNordie

I am thinking of applying for an American Express Gold card. Danske bank are obviously getting rid of their platinum card which had a few perks with it and I am looking for another card that has some benefits with it. As part of the application process it looks like American Express look for a "Bank Guarantee" from your bank (I am currently with PTSB).

Has anybody got any experience with this application process or how easy or hard it is to get a bank to give a guarantee?

Or any experience with the Amex charge cards. I'd be interested in hearing if the discounted hotel deals etc.are any good.

I actually applied for this over the last week.
BOI said no they don't give bank guarantees and some research suggests that other banks have the same policy.
I went back to Amex to query why this was the case and that surely they have the resources to do their own credit check on my application.
They just said it was an "internal requirement".

It seems that it only applies to certain countries.
Strange that I don;t think they ever asked for this before until quite recently as i know people with an Amex that do not provide a bank guarantee.

I can't imagine an bank providing this and if they did I'd imagine they would charge a significant fee for it.

From experience (AIB Customer) in 2006 the bank did not want to provide them with the reference as they ask a lot of questions like would they give unsecured loans and to what value, they also ask other questions which go beyond a standard credit check.

PTSB may provide this, AIB were reluctant. I am not sure if they ramped up their guarantee questionnaire but AIB did call me immediately when they received a request.

Did you check the AIB Platinum Card?

Back