Amazon & Amazon Prime

Amazon warn you multiple times before, during and after you signup what the service will cost once the free trial ends.

No they don't.
Nor even send you an e-receipt for the money they've snatched from your account.
Nor do they tell you - till you've actually tried and failed to do it - that video service is not available in Rep. of Ireland.
Nor God knows how many other things you've a right to know.

This is true,, it happened me when I said i wanted next day delivery and I didnt even want Amazon prime,after a bit of a search of Amazon I found my prime account and cancelled my "free" 30 day trial.
I like Amazon mostly but this is sharp practice!.

This is true,, it happened me when I said i wanted next day delivery and I didnt even want Amazon prime,after a bit of a search of Amazon I found my prime account and cancelled my "free" 30 day trial.
I like Amazon mostly but this is sharp practice!.
It's not sharp practice on Amazon's behalf. You signed up to Amazon Prime in order to avail of next day delivery and must have been aware of the free trial.

Ok Paid, sorry cant do the fada...
First of all how do you know what I must/must not be aware of..are you all seeing?...Im just telling of my experience and the experience of many others.
Alot of people see "free next day delivery" and just click on it, without seeing or wanting some video channel that is NOT available in Ireland.

Pat

You wanted to avail of the free next day delivery with Amazon Prime. You signed up to Amazon Prime even though you didn't want it and then cancelled within the 30 days. Presumably your item was delivered free of charge yet you still think it is sharp practice on Amazon's behalf.

The same thing happened me yesterday.

I was asked if I wanted to sign up to a free 30 day trial of Amazon Prime to get free delivery. I said NO, as the package already qualified for free delivery.
I clocked NO twice on two different screens and I still got an email telling me that I have signed up to the free trial.
The email does not state that if I don't cancel, I will be automatically charged.
It is definitely poor customer relations designed make sure that the customer is not made aware of what they are signing up for,

Of course, I will cancel, and I regularly have little sympathy with people who sign up for stuff withour reading the T&Cs but anyone taking Amazons side on this is defending shoddy practice by a large and very rich corporation.

I was asked if I wanted to sign up to a free 30 day trial of Amazon Prime to get free delivery. I said NO, as the package already qualified for free delivery.

A lot of things I buy qualify for free delivery to the UK and for this I find Parcel Motel excellent. I had a large item delivered last week and as it didn't fit into the PM locker I collected it from the main depot in Cork. No additional charge - 3.95 to get a big box delivered from the UK - great stuff.

....I had a large item delivered last week and as it didn't fit into the PM locker I collected it from the main depot in Cork.....

Not to be confussed with Parcel Motel's main depoit in the capital ;)

... Obviously, there must be a number of pick up points around the country. Very good service alright, only problem is that they became overwhelmed with stuff recently and were experiencing delays of several days (but to be fair, they seem to be working through the backlog by agreeing to send stuff to alternative boxes, or send items out by delivery van or bus etc).

An Post are trying to get in on the action and while they are cheaper (think it's €3.50), are sadly offering a secondary service when you consider that you must collect your item at a post office during post office opening hours and possibly also have to stand in a long queue, if you go at a busy time etc.

ParcelMotel certainly seem to be better at getting their name out there but just in case people aren't aware, there is another similar offering from DPD called Parcel Wizard which differs in that they will delivery to your home/work address so you don't have to go and collect it from a box. They're similar in price (think it might be €3.85 per delivery) so it might suit some better than the Parcel Motel offering.

ParcelMotel certainly seem to be better at getting their name out there but just in case people aren't aware, there is another similar offering from DPD called Parcel Wizard which differs in that they will delivery to your home/work address so you don't have to go and collect it from a box. They're similar in price (think it might be €3.85 per delivery) so it might suit some better than the Parcel Motel offering.
Good to see the competition but on a personal level I prefer the PO box style delivery of Parcel Motel. I find that I'm seldom home for delivery and it also stops the nosebags in work checking up on what you are buying.

Amazon Prime Video is now available in Ireland -

Signup here -

But beware - there is a 7 day free trial. When this free trial ends you WILL be charged €2.99 each month for the first six months and then €5.99 per month thereafter.

Just to close the case, so to speak.

I did get my refund eventually inside 2 weeks.
But it was in my opinion still a sneaky one by them.
Amazon is fine if I am buying - payment goes out quick, delivery is smooth and prompt compared to those crooks in AbeBooks. I also appreciate the useful reviews of texts submitted by buyers, even if some of them are crowd publicity for a book that many readers would see as not very well written.

But once you start selling on Amazon you encounter a different beast entirely.
Never have I got payment within 3-4 weeks of the sale, despite having dispatched the item within a couple of hours of the notification complete with photos of mail receipts, package, customs label, etc.
Every impediment against payment is used. Card / bank account not valid, account not in balance, address, postcode, etc. Postcode is a sure thing in blocking payments to Ireland as the credit/debit card payments system is not yet configured to handle our new eircodes. And well they know it at Amazon !

Amazon needs to give more satisfaction to their sellers. A lot of the stuff I've sold was very useful to the end-buyer as these books were out of print and crucial to the buyers' commercial/research needs.
And I personally made little out of it bar the satisfaction of seeing the books into a suitable home.
Amazon got their fees, naturally. I don't think that unfair as their portal brought all parties together. But payment ought be prompter.

Back