Amalfi Coast -----------Positano

Clonback

I am planning a trip to the Amalfi coast in September and looking for guidance/tips on where to stay.I know its expensive but would greatly appreciate any recent experiences.

Hi Clonback.
My wife and I stayed in Sorrento in a really nice hotel and did a day trip to Amalfi coast on the local bus , which we were able to get off in any of the towns along the way , and then back to Sorrento. We found this a lovely way to see the lovely towns and as many as we wanted to see. . You could do more than one trip to see as many towns as you wanted and for a good price . I hope you enjoy the trip, we did, Sorrento and the Amalfi coast are beautiful.

I think the best sort of trip along the Amalfi coast would be bus there and boat back or other way around if doable. You get a lovely view from the sea as well of the coast, I have done it by boat but not by road.

If you’re up for it, you can rent a boat in Sorrento and drive it up the coast to Positano and spend a day there checking the place out. Really unique experience, not mad expensive (<€200 I think, boat would take 4-6 people easily) and the boats are easier to drive than a car. A helper will meet you to do the docking at each side. Takes an hour or two to get to Positano from memory. You could also take the boat to Capri if you fancied it.

A day trip to Pompeii is not to be missed.

Sorrento is quite a bit bigger than Positano, so I’d be inclined to base yourself in Sorrento then do day trips to these others spots.

Back