Am I Unemployed or Self-employed?

Hello,
As well as posting my query here, I (the OP) also send it to the money advice section of a Sunday broadsheet. They printed their answer today which I have reproduced below. (To summarise my complaint: I am unemployed but am being treated by the revenue as self-employed and must therefore cough up 4% (as PRSI) of any bank deposit interest I earn.)

What the paper said:

"You are being treated as self-employed by default because you are not in employment, This exposes you to an anomaly in the tax system, whereby the self-employed must pay PRSI on deposit interest, dividends and other unearned income but not those in employment.

I doubt that you have grounds for appeal because the government's solution for addressing this anomaly is to impose PRSI on all unearned income,including that of employees, from 2014.

The taxation of deposit interest is unfair for those on lower incomes. Dirt is deducted by the banks at a flat rate of 33% - great for those in the top tax bracket but not for those who pay at 20% or are exempt from income tax because their earnings are too low."

[End of what the paper said.]

The above response is quite a disappointment to me, I find the first sentence extroardinary and demanding of a proper explanation. I find the second paragraph illogical - can I not claim a tax rebate for PRSI wrongfully paid up till now and can I not avoid paying the new minimum self-employed PRSI of E500 from 2013 onwards? Then the third paragraph wanders off onto an irrelevant (though related) issue.

I will certainly be appealing my employment status to the revenue, despite the paper's pessimism in this regard, and will let you know what happens.

Bri Cualann

You can appeal all you like, but the legislation is very clear and you'll be told pretty much what I told you previously.

If your earnings from deposit income are more than 3,174 then you are a chargeable person. If you had a PAYE source of income (and therefore were already having social insurance contributions made for you by an employer) then you would not have been charged PRSI on the unearned income. If you don't have a PAYE source of income, and therefore had no social insurance contributions on your behalf, you are required to pay a contribution.

Mandelbrot,

Fair point but remember the self-employed (as opposed to chargeable persons) must pay a minimum of €500 PRSI from 2013 onwards, along with any other bullets this government fires at the self employed in the future. Such liabilities I don't believe I should have to bear.

Bri Cualann

Given you keep referring to the minimum PRSI is it far to assume that your deposit interest of around 10k per annum. Surely you should be more concerned with the 33% DIRT that you are paying? The average punter would pay €350 on that amount.

Perhaps you should consider a tax free investment.

Back