Am I paying too much tax? Please advise?

TestLink

Hi,
My salary is 67K per year. My wife's salary is 52K per year. With Revenue my wife's is the main account. Mortgage is paid from her account. I am only getting around 3000 euro every month after tax. Is the tax distributed correctly?

Please see the attached docs obtained from Revenue. Any advice?

Attachments

• Tax Details.JPG
    Tax Details.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 174
  • Tax.pdf
    450.7 KB · Views: 140
I was under the impression that if husband and wife salaries are over the threshold for 40% tax that there is no benefit to being jointly assessed.
Tax credits can then be evenly distributed.
Someone on here may know about irish tax.

You're correct that if each earner is above the standard rate band then no particular benefit applies to joint assessment. Where it can make a difference is if one earner's income drops below the band (e.g. maternity leave or redundancy/being unemployed for a period). Joint assessment allows for transfer of bands and certain credits between earners.

I've a spreadsheet @ taxcalc.eu/monthlyss which might help

Joint assessment can be an advantage where one partner has earnings marginally into the 40% band and the other partner has a lot of earnings at 40%.
If the lower earning partner had for instance, 2000 euro taxed at 40 % and made pension contributions for 10000 per year. If individually assessed they would only get tax relief at 40% on 2000 euro and 20% on 8000 euro. If jointly assessed they could potentially get tax relief at 40% on the whole pension contributions of 10000 euro. The pension tax relief is always applied at the couple's marginal tax rate.

Last edited:
Back