Health Insurance Am I paying too much for my health insurance

dublin100

Hello all,
I recently renewed with Laya - I was with "Assure Health" but price went up from €728 to €793.

So I downgraded to "Future Protect Plus" which cost €733.

Am I paying way above the odds or is that about right for a 40 year old with no particular health issues?

My wife and kids are on a different plan with another company.

Thanks

dublin100,

Yes, for the cover you have 'Future Protect Plus' at the moment, you are paying way over the odds.
The plan you have now covers you for public hospitals only, which means if you need surgery, you will go onto the same public
hospital waiting list as everyone else without health insurance. There is one list for surgery in public hospitals and the waiting lists are
1-2 years depending on the type of surgery.
This plan does not cover private hospitals so you would have no other option open to you.

The following 2 plans are cheapest available with just public hospital cover;
1. Laya Assure Protect; price 536pa; all public hospitals covered.
2. VHI One Plan Starter; price 539pa; all public hospitals covered. This plan also allows access to VHI Swiftcare Clinics which are now only
open to VHI members as an alternative to the public hospital A+E depts.
[broken link removed]

Plans covering both public and private hospitals are well worth considering for a similar price as your current plan, details as follows;
1. VHI One Plan 500; price 769pa; all public and private hospitals covered, private hospital excess 500 x 2 max per year only payable if admitted for a stay in a private hospital, day case excess 150 per procedure. No excess applies to any public hospital.
Also, this plan allows access to VHI Swiftcare Clinics.

2. Laya Precision 600 Connect; price 695pa; all public and a selected list of private hospitals covered,(check out this list to see if they suit
your location) private hospital excess 600 per admission to a private hospital for a stay for surgery or treatment, day case excess 175 per
procedure. No excess is payable in any public hospital.

[broken link removed]

NOTE; you have 14 days to reconsider your options and switch to another plan or another company if you want.

Regards, Snowyb

Back