Am I insured

howareya

I recently bought a new car (well new to me) and rang my insurance company to change over the details. they said it would cost another €80 which I did not complain about.
my question is this. the Insurance company never sent me any documentation relating to this €80. I have received my new ins disk and still nothing from them this is over 3 months ago now. My ins cover does not run out until Sep.
Am i fully insured even if the €80 is not paid

I know that much but if i could get away with it without having to ring i'd be €80 better off.

know that much but if i could get away with it without having to ring i'd be €80 better off.

and if you crash and write off your car, and your not insured, how much will you loss??? surely more than €80. given that you have received your new insurance cert, its likely you are on cover, are you paying by Direct Debit, if so check if the monthly amount has increased to cover the €80.

if you have a certificate, then any Third Party claim MUST be dealt with by the insurer.

If you are paying in installments, it is common for the insurer to simply increase the debit from your account in accordance with direct debit rules.

some other companies, like FBD might simply hold the debit on the a/c until next renewal date.

Well considering you have the insurance disk which is the verify that you are insured I would go and spent the 80 quid on a nice meal..

Ravima said:
if you have a certificate, then any Third Party claim MUST be dealt with by the insurer.
It is true that the insurer will deal with the claim as insurer concerned because they are forced to - but it doesn't mean that it is a valid claim covered by the policy - and they can come looking to the 'policyholder' for a contribution towards the claim amount - to the extent of suing you if necessary. You would effectively be an uninsured driver with an identifiable past insurer to pick on to pay the claim. This is a BIG difference from having a valid paid up policy.
But back to the original poster's Q, I'm sure you're fine - they processed the change, sent you a new cert and disc and are most likely going to add the additional premium onto your next renewal. If they haven't sent reminders, demands, requests to return the cert and disc then they won't have withdrawn cover (I presume they have your correct address if the cert and disc got to you)

The understandable fear of the repliers on this thread neatly exemplifies the extraordinary power that insurance companies have (and are more than willing to exploit) over their clients in this country.

The OP was never sent a bill by the insurance company. In no area of commerce of which I'm aware would a consumer ever be advised to pay without an invoice - for one thing, the scope that such a course of action would afford for fraud within the company in receipt of such a payment is glaringly obvious.

Secondly, the OP has an insurance disk appropriate to his/her "new" car - in other words he/she has received the service requested despite no payment having been formally demanded. That is good fortune for the OP and, most likely, simple inefficiency from the insurance company.

The insurance company wouldn't have a leg to stand on if the issue were litigated. And yet people are still advising the OP to make heroic efforts to hand over money he/she is not due to pay.

Why are we all so frightened of insurance companies?

oysterman said:
The understandable fear of the repliers ....
And yet people are still advising the OP to make heroic efforts to hand over money he/she is not due to pay.

What heroic efforts were advised?

Back