Am i entitled to Ryanair compensation?

alwaysonit

I have just been given 6 days notice that my flight from Portugal to Poland is cancelled - they mentioned "government restrictions" but did not specifically mention or link to a specific restriction.

I have been offered a refund or a free flight change.
They also falsely added "As you have been given over 14 days’ notice of this cancellation, no entitlement to EU261 compensation arises."

I believe I am due €400 due to EU261 compensation, as less than 6 days notice was given, and nautical distance is over 1500km.

I found the official government piece that Poland have cut air ties with Portugal for 13 days from yesterday, so as it is an "extraordinary circumstance" I would not be entitled to the compensation.

I am offered free flight change "on the original route or to any other route within our network and any date within 90 days before or after your cancelled flight".
Do I have to change my flight before the scheduled departure date?

For future reference of readers, the flight can be changed after the departure date.

We are looking at rerouting but cannot get in contact with Ryanair - apparently they cover the cost of land transport we would have to take from the nearest airport.

Has anyone had them book this directly, or is standard procedure to book it yourself and then submit the claim?

Back