Am I entitled to any of partners house?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lucy2

I lived with my partner in his house for two years until we broke up a few months ago. I don't earn as much as him so he told me not to contribute towards the mortgage but I did pay half the bills and for half the food. He has €300K equity built up in the house as he bought it 10 years ago. Would I be entitled to anything now?

sandymount - is this your field of expertise before u go snarling?

i think there is some law that states "common-law-wives" would be entitled to a % of the asset after a period of time. plus she would need proof of living in the property. Can someone clarify this for me? I may have it wrong... but at least i didnt snarl!!!!!

I lived with my partner in his house for two years until we broke up a few months ago. I don't earn as much as him so he told me not to contribute towards the mortgage but I did pay half the bills and for half the food. He has €300K equity built up in the house as he bought it 10 years ago. Would I be entitled to anything now?

What is the world coming to when a question get asked like this.

Does anyone else find this truly unbelievable?

I wouldn't think so. If you had contributed to the mortgage or had paid for all of the utilities and food I would say you would be entitled to a portion (although working that out would be difficult).

The fact that you paid half the bills means you were only covering your own costs while living rent free.

I lived with my partner in his house for two years .... not to contribute towards the mortgage but I did pay half the bills and for half the food.

So based on the information supplied, I've worked out that you owe him rent for the last 2 years. Lucky you paid for your share of the bills and for your food or maybe you'd owe him more ;)

i think there is some law that states "common-law-wives" would be entitled to a % of the asset after a period of time. plus she would need proof of living in the property. Can someone clarify this for me? I may have it wrong... but at least i didnt snarl!!!!!

In Ireland theres no such thing as a common law wife and also no such thing as a prenuptial agreement.

Yes its unbelieveable...Its women like this who put men off commitment!

I'm now wondering if I should only date women who also have a house else all my hard work could go up in smoke!!! :eek:

"i think there is some law that states "common-law-wives" would be entitled to a % of the asset after a period of time. plus she would need proof of living in the property. Can someone clarify this for me? I may have it wrong... but at least i didnt snarl!!!!!"

No - there is no such law in this jurisdiction. And I think sandymount "snapped" rather than "snarled"!

The big question is why would the OP think they would have any entitlement to anything? That is what beggars belief in my view.

Not married, no kids ( that we are told about), paid half of bills and food ( why does this make any difference? should he have paid for her?). If they were married and if there were kids and if her name was/was not on the Deeds and if they split, that would be viewed differently by the Courts.

mf

I suppose you could try and force him to sell his house so you have a few quid see what a judge would think.

if you have a look at the [broken link removed] website, it doesn't look like you would be entitled to anything.

I read an article that women in new zealand are entitled after to some equityafter 6 months i think.. it's not right though and it gives women a bad name, i'm not snarling but I agree you've only been paying your own way the last two years, it's his house, his morgage, did you use the money you would have paid in rent and save it, if so it will help you with buying your own place :)

ok, are any of you actually lawyers?
I would say you might have an equitable interest. Visit your solicitor

[In Ireland theres no such thing as a common law wife and also no such thing as a prenuptial agreement.

Ah thats that clarified so. I didnt know if i had that right or not. Isnt there some stipulation if there are children involved no? OP hasnt mentioned children though...

I really find this shocking, I have my own house and if I broke up with my boyfriend and he looked for some sort of "payment" not having paid anything towards a mortgage I would burn the house down before I give it to him. And yes it does give girls a bad name!

"
No - there is no such law in this jurisdiction. And I think sandymount "snapped" rather than "snarled"!

mf

snap / snarling same bloody thing in my books!!!! .

People come in for advise and thats what should be given. why snap at someone? Why not just be polite and give her the straight forward facts. Jezz.. its costs nothing to be polite.

ok, are any of you actually lawyers?
I would say you might have an equitable interest. Visit your solicitor

As far as I recall (from advice given to a family member by a solicitor a number of years back) you build up an equitable interest if you are contributing to the mortgage, paying rent to your partner, contributing to the upgrade/maintenance of the property.

In the OP's case (based on her first post) she was paying half of the bills and food but nothing else. Thus it would seem she does not have an equitable interest. As per legallady you should contact a solicitor rather than relying on emotional reactive response here.

From a moral perspective it would be a shame if you get anything from this, given your ex partner has owned this property for 10 years and you were only around for 2 of these and contributed nothing to it.

"ok, are any of you actually lawyers?

Yep, I am.
"I would say you might have an equitable interest. Visit your solicitor""

What equitable interest?
There is no talk of an understanding or agreement, OP admits only paid half of bills and food........

mf

Have you broached this with your ex ?

You shouldn't have moved out then maybe he would have paid to get rid of you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back