Am I disqualified?

S

Scarlett.

I dropped out of college last year (I didn't go to any classes after Halloween break). After that my grant payments stopped. Last week I applied for jobseekers and the person taking my form said I would need a letter stating my time there and saying that I would not be returning. I asked the college for the letter, they said according to their records I was registered until May 31st 2010 and after that was automatically deregistered. I know that if you sit Summer examinations you are disqualified until September but I have my results that state that I was absent from all exams and I have bank statements that show I wasn't in receipt of a grant.So am I disqualified?

I would urge you to try and get the college to recognise that you left in October as it will have implications much greater than for Jobseekers purposes - if you leave a course before 31st october you are would not count as having had free fees so would qualify again for a fee free first year if you returned to college at a later date. The fact that your grant was stopped implies that someone in the college/grant authority knew you were not in attendance and there will be records somewhere to support this, if you had Jan exams you would also have missed those which will again be noted in registers. The admin office associated with the department you studied may also have records of non attendance...

You should of course have informed the college of your 'dropping out' so approach them with that in mind! With respect to Jobseekers - what have you been doing since October, if working daytimes etc would that be proof that you were no longer in college? Good luck!

Back