Am I alone in thinking ICTU's 1 day work stoppage on March30th is stark raving mad!

Re: One Day Work Stoppage - March 30th

Unions interest is in its members of which there are close 350,000 employed by our govt, these people all have families.

Everyone knows someone who works for the govt so with that in mind surely its in the national interest to keeps its members interests at heart.
yes, but not to the detriment of the common good and that's what the unions want.

If our govt wanted to be patriotic they'd resign from govt and put it to the voters.
Maybe, but that's a different issue.

What you said was "If people striked on weekends every week they would be listened to".

Maybe I was a bit presumptuous, but when you mentioned striking, I thought of unions. Are you now suggesting that people should be striking WITHOUT involving their unions?

No I am suggesting that people are putting far too much importance on what Unions are saying. It should be the opposition partys galvanising public opinion. Because there is no credible opposing party does not make it ok that the Unions have taken up the mantle.

Nobody will convince me that the Unions are acting soley in the interests of their members. They are simply looking to jump on the bandwagon of popular opinion to justify their current existance.

If this continues the Unions and their followers will eventually get what they are forcing . . The I.M.F. . . And then they wont have a voice at all . .

Rule no 1. If in doubt play the IMF card! such a cliche at this point...

Re: Am I alone in thinking ICTU's 1 day work stoppage on March30th is stark raving m

Seems funny that that the ICTU are going to examine whether the 66% rule needs to be adhered to. If it was the other way around I am sure they would accept it!

So a minority of workers in the economy of whom only 50 odd % bothered to vote, and of those only 60 odd % (i.e. a minority of their total) support a strike, believe they have a mandate for a national strike?

Re: Am I alone in thinking ICTU's 1 day work stoppage on March30th is stark raving m

IBOA have also said they won't support it and haven't even balloted their members

[broken link removed]

As I said in a post elsewhere, i think it is good that someone in the union lesdership is stating clearly why the "day of action" was called in the first place and secondly why they see no reason to join in

some commen sense at last

Rule no 1. If in doubt play the IMF card! such a cliche at this point...

A "cliche"? I was told off for being melodramatic when I suggested it on this site just a few short months ago. In reality it will probably be the EU who will impose sanctions, playing the "better us than the IMF card".

It may have already started. Otherwise why the sudden announcement of an emergency budget after the visit of Jean-Claude Trichet?

Nobody will convince me that the Unions are acting soley in the interests of their members. They are simply looking to jump on the bandwagon of popular opinion to justify their current existance.
The unions are fairly democratic organisations. No strike decisions are taken without balloting members. Members run the branches, and can pass motions giving direction to management.

Union members aren't stupid. They are generally smart people, who don't suffer fools and don't allow themselves to be led down blind alleys.

So a minority of workers in the economy of whom only 50 odd % bothered to vote, and of those only 60 odd % (i.e. a minority of their total) support a strike, believe they have a mandate for a national strike?

I know of several IMPACT members who didn't get ballod papers and I have heard of several who got 5!

On a different note I memtioned this before in a previous post but wouldn't it be funny if the chairman of FAS and the general secetary of IMPACT were the same person.

Feast your eyes on this

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fas-defends-meeting-in-luxury-hotel-1485892.html

Money well spent what do you think?

The unions are fairly democratic organisations. No strike decisions are taken without balloting members. Members run the branches, and can pass motions giving direction to management.

Union members aren't stupid. They are generally smart people, who don't suffer fools and don't allow themselves to be led down blind alleys.

Good aold Joe was saying the same thing about the Communist Party in Soviet Russia a while back (as were many current members of the current gaggle of union fat cats).

I know of several IMPACT members who didn't get ballod papers and I have heard of several who got 5!

I haven't been an IMPACT member for years, but I got a ballot paper.

Absolutely. No strike without a ballot. Now, whether they pay any attention to the result, well, we'll just have to see won't we?

Absolutely. No strike without a ballot. Now, whether they pay any attention to the result, well, we'll just have to see won't we?

All members are equal... but some are more equal than others.

I haven't been an IMPACT member for years, but I got a ballot paper.

Now with that in mind I wonder how many ballot papers were actually sent out?

Back